Trying to Decide

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Things could change
At this stage in life if there is one thing I'm relatively certain about, it's that there is no truer statement.

So far from what I see, the best thing about it, is that I can turn it off and continue using my start screen that I've become completely comfortable with...... to the extent that I actually use it.

And of course... it will give all the harpies something new to bitch about and that is always a good thing .... or at least an entertaining thing.

Reaction score
Hi Nebil.

Personal thought is that perhaps you could have posted this clip in a new thread, instead of posting in four existing threads?

Trouble. When Windows 1 came out, I was pleased with the concept, but found it a little difficult to use after having become reasonably proficient with Dos.
However, I was tolerant and kept the thought "give it a little time to mature".

After nearly thirty years, I am interested in what Windows 9 has to offer, but not as excited as many forum members around the globe, appear to be. But then, like other old geezers, I get more cynical with age!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Nebil.

Personal thought is that perhaps you could have posted this clip in a new thread, instead of posting in four existing threads?

Trouble. When Windows 1 came out, I was pleased with the concept, but found it a little difficult to use after having become reasonably proficient with Dos.
However, I was tolerant and kept the thought "give it a little time to mature".

After nearly thirty years, I am interested in what Windows 9 has to offer, but not as excited as many forum members around the globe, appear to be. But then, like other old geezers, I get more cynical with age!

4 existing threads ?
Try 9.

Reaction score
Yes.David. Just revisited. It is growing like ebola!

I think perhaps he has a personal promotional interest in this.
Perhaps. Nebil, if you really want to interest members, you could post something in the other forum regarding your new OS project.

Reaction score
Get out of here, Nebil, or post something productive.

Examination shows that is windows 8 with Modern mix and a third party menu.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
9 remained after I cleaned up 2 and sometimes 3 duplicate posts in the same thread(s).
He definitely spammed the site with these postings but as you've mentioned I left them for traffic considerations..... For Now.

Reaction score
You are probably both correct. But, as I see the spamming - it isn't just on this forum- I dont really think it will do credit to the site, traffic consideration aside.

Have a look at this movie. Let the advert run and then sit back and enjoy.

http://winfuture.de/videos/Software/Windows-9-Der-neue-Multi-Desktop-in-Aktion-12915.html

Just click it, let the advert run (very short) and the video should start automatically

The original is in German, but, here is a quick translation:

Microsoft leads with Windows 9 for the first time in the history of its operating system support for the use of multiple desktops one. According to the created few days ago Windows Technical Preview Build 9834 , we can now understand the functioning of the current time accurately. Accessing the new multi-desktop function in the Windows 9 Technical Preview currently has one displayed in the taskbar next to the search box Multitasking button, which promotes the so-called Task View to day. Here, a beam placed horizontally across the bottom of the screen, on the one button to add additional desktops is displayed. Alternatively, this view can also be shown by the cross Wipe from the left edge of the screen.
multi-desktop operation with the Windows 9 Technical Preview
If you click on "Add a desktop" a new workspace is created with only the screen resolution the number of new desktops sets limits. Currently there is no option to create a large number of new desktop work surfaces, because the display of thumbnails on the desktop Add-bar can not be durchscrollt. Visually and functionally will presumably still do a lot here.
Windows 9 Preview (Build 9834) (Movie)
If you move your mouse over a thumbnail of an open desktops, a big "X" will appear for closing and after a short waiting period shows Windows 9 in the remaining free space above the bar to switch between desktops, which opened on the respective work area window. These can be clicked directly, if required, to go directly to the respective program or close it. Microsoft has also been considered for dealing with multiple desktops, how to keep track on the taskbar. Is open a program or app on the active desktop, its symbol is stored in the system tray as it has been Windows 7 with a square frame. The app is on another desktop, a small part of the frame is only indicated at the bottom of the taskbar. If you move your mouse over the respective app icon, the usual live preview of the open windows will appear.
Use multiple desktops on Windows Threshold
The icons launched programs are always displayed on all desktops in the taskbar. If you click on the one opened on another desktop icon is changed on each desktop. The move windows from one desktop to the next is currently not (yet) possible. Also can not have multiple instances of a program open to different desktop, unless you open it as before once as a normal user and once as administrator. Incidentally falls through the new multi-desktop functionality at least in the Technical Preview of Windows 8 known vertical bar at the left of the screen to switch between different Windows Store apps away. Can as yet be changed also by Alt + Tab between the various open applications. In addition, there is now the option to seek the Show Genre geöffeneten desktops via Windows + Tab. See also:

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I kinda like the idea of multiple desktops in Windows.
As a matter of fact I posted about it in our other forum http://www.win8forums.com/threads/microsoft-virtual-desktops.1750/
For a single monitor (like a laptop) environment I can see how it would be a great resource.
I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this Tech Preview as soon as it becomes available. It'll be fun to play with (until the new-ness wears off).

Reaction score
Not off topic, I hope.

The question of stimulating trafficis a thorny one, and has been raised in threads before on Windows 8.

Whilst it is definitely in the interest of any forum, it can also depend on where you want the emphasis.

For example, one of the most prolific windows 9 forums on the web had this to offer today, after my final visit before bedtime:

ovee.PNG

This is certainly a way to attract interest to the forum, but do the Admin and moderators here, really wish to see the content diluted like this.
FWIW. The sister forums , Win 8 etc, have , to a large extent, a majority of daily postings of similar content, although I cannot deny that the input on essential matters is top class.

Reaction score
Not off topic, I hope.

The question of stimulating trafficis a thorny one, and has been raised in threads before on Windows 8.

Whilst it is definitely in the interest of any forum, it can also depend on where you want the emphasis.
Please note; my "false information" statement wasn't including off-topic BS that belongs on CNN, Weather Channel, or Facebook. I agree that if it is not relevant to Win9, it should be minimized as much as possible. But that is a call for Ian to make, I'm only voicing my opinion.

Reaction score
Agreed. I also think that this thread possibly went off title with my post #7.

For tidiness, I have re posted it in the "Off topic" section. A moderator may feel free to delete my post 12 ( and 7, if you wish)

Reaction score
Agreed. I also think that this thread possibly went off title with my post #7.

For tidiness, I have re posted it in the "Off topic" section. A moderator may feel free to delete my post 12 ( and 7, if you wish)
See if you can help answer this: What did you do to become a moderator? Can I become a moderator - and if so how would I go about it?

Reaction score
At this stage in life if there is one thing I'm relatively certain about, it's that there is no truer statement.

So far from what I see, the best thing about it, is that I can turn it off and continue using my start screen that I've become completely comfortable with...... to the extent that I actually use it.

And of course... it will give all the harpies something new to bitch about and that is always a good thing .... or at least an entertaining thing.
See if you can help answer this: What did you do to become a moderator? Can I become a moderator - and if so how would I go about it?

Reaction score
I kinda like the idea of multiple desktops in Windows.
As a matter of fact I posted about it in our other forum http://www.win8forums.com/threads/microsoft-virtual-desktops.1750/
For a single monitor (like a laptop) environment I can see how it would be a great resource.
I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this Tech Preview as soon as it becomes available. It'll be fun to play with (until the new-ness wears off).
Interestingly, replies to posts are not lined up with each other, or am I missing something here?

Reaction score
I wopuld suggest you are missing quite a lot, Julian. There is no rule to prevent you psting, as you wish but, for example, you have flooded the forum with posts which, imo, do not contribute help and,all address threads which are out of date.
A moderator might be careful not to do this.
How to become one? Well contribute plentiful posts replying and giving positive help to newbies and those with specific problems. This means you have available free computer time aplenty. When you feel your contributions are beginning to have some impact, you can then ask the Administrator if he needs another moderator or, in some circumstances, the Admin will notice your contributions and offer you the task.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can I become a moderator - and if so how would I go about it?
As davehc has already said..... just contribute and do the work...... someone will notice.
Those decisions are the forum's owner to make.
Unfortunately this is a very young forum, still in its' infancy, dedicated to an OS that is still in-utero (hasn't been born yet) and as such there is not a lot of traffic or posts that require attention and help so this may not be the best place or time to start.

Ask a Question