SOLVED Windows Defender not showing Exclusions

Reaction score
Shorter version:
Windows Defender does not show a list of Exclusions. I have added exclusions but it does not show them.
The exclusions appear in the Registry but cannot be deleted. I supposed I have to shut down Defender, but I see no Off button, and in Services the Stop option is greyed out.
As I am typing this it occurs to me that restarting in Safe Mode may allow me to delete entries in the Registry. Can anyone confirm?

Longer version:
Every time I start or re-start my computer, then start Thunderbird, it adds one or more popstate-x.dat folders to each of my email accounts. There is never anything in them and I always delete them.
Searching for the cause of this I came across a post saying it had something to do with the anti-virus and to set an exception for Thunderbird's Profile folder.
When I went to set an Exception in Windows Defender, nothing seemed to happen. I went through all the steps, drilling down to the Profiles folder and adding it. Seems to me there should be a list of Exceptions in case I want to un-except something.
Foolishly, I began adding other folders. Maybe the specific Profile. Maybe the entire Thunderbird folder. Maybe it won't add it because it's in the AppData folder, which is hidden. So I added Documents. Still nothing.
Finally I searched for why exclusions don't show up and found a post indicating the Registry key where exclusions are stored. And there they were - all the stupid exclusions I made, along with the proper Profile one. The post indicated that I could just delete the Registry entries (or the entire Path folder) and all would be well, but the Registry will not allow for deletion or even modification of the entries nor the Path folder.
Assuming Defender needs to be shut down to make changes to the Registry, I looked for a way to do that. Previous anti-virus programs I have used had ways to turn them off, usually temporarily. But I can find no way to turn off Defender.
I thought maybe I could turn it off in Services, but there the Stop option is greyed out. It's not listed in Start-Up programs.
So I came here to ask, how do I make it stop? Alternatively, how do I delete those exclusions? Or, how do I get an Exclusion list to show up so I can do it the "proper" way?
As I write this it occurs to me to use Safe Mode to delete the items from the Registry. Can anyone confirm that would work? Or does Defender start in Safe Mode too?
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Reaction score
Took some digging through all that mess at that link, but YES! I did finally find what I needed.
Defender still does not list Exclusions, but I was able to delete the Exclusions I did not want, and that's the important part.
Thank you for that!

For anyone wondering, I used a cmdlet in PowerShell, as noted here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...file-name-folder-or-file-extension-exclusions
Specifically: Remove-MpPreference -ExclusionPath "C:\Users\etc"

Ask a Question