W10 update fail, crash loop, funcions fail...replace HD/SSD?

Reaction score
I have tried everything to try and fix this issue, my system functions just enough to be usable, but it will often crash and get stuck in a loop trying to restart, often going through diagnostic/repair attempts that fail. Eventually it will bring me to a home screen although its unknown to me what finally allows this as it seems completely random. I built the rig to run my DAW and it was fine for several years until an update error broke several functionalities and is now causing me to not be able to update software and in some cases even be able to use usb midi controllers because the drivers arent recognized. Several programs such as Start Menu, Apps, Networks, etc do not even open when clicked on. File Explorer is about the only useful thing that works outside of installed programs such as Cubase and web browsers. I have tried endless tuts on methods to fix it. I cannot even reset or reinstall windows from a boot disk as I just get endless "windows was unable to reset/install" errors. I would JUST like to know if simply replacing my HD and SSD hardware and installing windows from scratch could return my system to proper working order as it was when I put it together. I have everything backed up and am willing to replace the hardware if it is a possible fix rather than build a whole new rig.
Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

You say that you have been through endless tuts to diagnose/repair the problem, however without more information, I would be guessing at a resolution.

Replacing parts aka "the Parts cannon" approach may not fix the issue. And you may end up in the same situation just a little bit later.

If you want to step through some troubleshooting, I would suggest doing the following:

1/ Run scan disk
2/ Run an offline virus scan. Article is HERE.

Let me know what you decide or if you have any trouble.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

You say that you have been through endless tuts to diagnose/repair the problem, however without more information, I would be guessing at a resolution.

Replacing parts aka "the Parts cannon" approach may not fix the issue. And you may end up in the same situation just a little bit later.

If you want to step through some troubleshooting, I would suggest doing the following:

1/ Run scan disk
2/ Run an offline virus scan. Article is HERE.

Let me know what you decide or if you have any trouble.
Thank you for your reply. This is what I get when I try that...
error2.png

Reaction score
Hmm.. I'll look into that. It seems like part of PowerShell is not installed.

Make sure that you have saved any work prior to doing this.

Anyway, We will go the long way:

Start -> Settings -> Update and Security -> Windows Security -> Virus Threat Protection -> Scan options
Select "Microsoft Defender Offline Scan"
Click on "Scan Now"

- It should pop up a box telling you to "Save your Work".
- Click "Scan"

- A pop up will say " Do you want to allow this app to make changes to you device?"
- Click "Yes"

- It will say " you are about to be signed out" and it will then reboot and Run the Offline Scan.

I'll create an article of how to get the Defender (Anti virus) results.

Reaction score
Settings is one of the functions that won't open for me, I can bring up the side panel with WIN+X or by right clicking the start button (left clicking it does nothing) but when I click Settings nothing comes up. Same goes for Apps and Features, Power Options, and System when I click on them from that panel.

Sorry...I just copy/pasted
This is what I got.View attachment 14576
Hmm.. I'll look into that. It seems like part of PowerShell is not installed.

Make sure that you have saved any work prior to doing this.

Anyway, We will go the long way:

Start -> Settings -> Update and Security -> Windows Security -> Virus Threat Protection -> Scan options
Select "Microsoft Defender Offline Scan"
Click on "Scan Now"

- It should pop up a box telling you to "Save your Work".
- Click "Scan"

- A pop up will say " Do you want to allow this app to make changes to you device?"
- Click "Yes"

- It will say " you are about to be signed out" and it will then reboot and Run the Offline Scan.

I'll create an article of how to get the Defender (Anti virus) resu

Reaction score
Let me know how the disk repair goes.
I’m actually still not getting it to work, still getting the above error. Something always prevents any kind of scan, reset or reinstall process from working. Also, my system boots up straight into uefi bios utility and I can’t figure how to stop that from happening.

Reaction score
So even though you press "Y" it doesn't run the check on reboot?

Are you able to get a pic of the uefi utility screen that the computer boots into?
What do you press to leave the uefi boot screen and boot into Windows?

Reaction score

Are you able to get a pic of the uefi utility screen that the computer boots into?

I’m actually still not getting it to work, still getting the above error. Something always prevents any kind of scan, reset or reinstall process from working. Also, my system boots up straight into uefi bios utility and I can’t figure how to stop that from happening.

This is what my system always start up to and highlighted is what I click to get windows to start…when it decides to and not just restart the whole system again

Attachments

• IMG_2125 3 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_2125 3 Medium.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Ok, so the problem appears to be that the "Boot Option #1" is not set to the "Windows Boot Manager".
It is set to the "M.2_1: Crucial_CT1050MX300SSI"

You should be able to use the mouse and to the Right of "Boot Option #1", click on the down arrow and select "Windows Boot Manager (M_21:"

So it should kind of look like:

Boot Option #1 Windows Boot Manager (M_21:

Click "Exit" and hopefully you should get a prompt to Save and exit.
Reboot.

It should jump straight to Windows now.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Ok, so the problem appears to be that the "Boot Option #1" is not set to the "Windows Boot Manager".
It is set to the "M.2_1: Crucial_CT1050MX300SSI"

You should be able to use the mouse and to the Right of "Boot Option #1", click on the down arrow and select "Windows Boot Manager (M_21:"

So it should kind of look like:

Click "Exit" and hopefully you should get a prompt to Save and exit.
Reboot.

It should jump straight to Windows now.
I changed it and it still boots up in bios. When I went to save it said no changes have been made, and I clicked continue anyway. Now it comes up as boot option 1 set to windows boot manager but still starts in bios.

Ask a Question