How to delete downloaded updates that have not yet been installed? Win 10 Home. HP Pavilion.

Reaction score
I’m on Win 10 Home (HP Pavilion) and a week ago my system downloaded the latest updates. I saw this and set the delay for 2 weeks. So I’ve downloaded the latest updates but delayed their install. I’ve researched and (as usual) people are having serious problems with the updates. Now I want to get rid of the updates that were downloaded cuz they may trash my pc. How can I get rid of these updates? I want to wait a while before downloading and installing this latest batch of updates. How to delete the updates that were downloaded but not yet installed? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi,

You must be signed in as Admin., and create a restore point before.

Open a command prompt as Admin. and copy/paste or type the code below

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptsvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptsvc
net start bits
net start msiserver and press “Enter”.

Then, you can delete .old files by following the paths, for example : C:\Windows, and you scroll down until « SoftwareDistribution.old » and you delete it.

For the other one : C:\Windows\System32, you look for Catroot2.old, and delete it.

Bye ;)

Ask a Question