SOLVED Windows 10 installation failed due to CPU issue

Reaction score
My install to Windows 10 failed on a PC running 32bit Windows 7 Home Premium. I have the Pentium Dual Core E5700 @ 3.00Ghz.

The error I got was that the NX feature was not enabled on the CPU.

How may I enable the NX feature?

Reaction score
Checked the BIOS and it would seem that NX facility is NOT available.
Only option I guess is to upgrade the CPU to a i5 (expensive) or find a way to flash BIOS

Reaction score
According to another a post I read when I googled, "will my computer run windows 10" ZD net says you need the NX and some other stuff or you're just wasting the download. I just got the upgrade icon on my desktop the other day and I have checked and my CPU doesn't support it either. I also can't upgrade to windows 8 on here, so I think I will stay at windows 7 a while. To see if your CPU supports it get CPUID and run that, then look at the instructions line to see what your CPU supports Then go here to see what is needed
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-will-your-pc-run-it/

Reaction score
I ran CPUID on both my PC and Laptop which has an i7 CPU.
The results were - PC has MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T, VT-x (Pentium Dual Core [email protected])
Laptop has MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T, VT-x, AES (Intel Core i7 M 620 @ 2.67 Ghz)

There is NO NX on the I7 but it installed W10 Pro.

The additional instructions are SSE4.1, SSE4.2 and AES

Any clues??

Reaction score
I ran CPUID on both my PC and Laptop which has an i7 CPU.
The results were - PC has MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T, VT-x (Pentium Dual Core [email protected])
Laptop has MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T, VT-x, AES (Intel Core i7 M 620 @ 2.67 Ghz)

There is NO NX on the I7 but it installed W10 Pro.

The additional instructions are SSE4.1, SSE4.2 and AES

Any clues??
If I remember right the VT-x covers it, also VT-d would too.
The problem I had on my Dell Latitude E4300 was the Bluetooth driver is not in windows 8.1 or 10, so I can't do a fresh install. It keeps telling me Media drivers are needed. I was able to install 10 by doing the upgrade process. No my favorite option, but it works and I don't use the Bluetooth feature. If I do need it, I have an adapter.
And I just checked and you need minimum SSE2, EM64T and either VT-x or VT'd and the NX is enabled or disabled in the Bios is you have the VT-...

Reaction score
Hi Walldoo99

Since my CPU has VT-x, what should I do to enable NX?
In your Bios it should be under the security tab then under Execute Disable for an intel processor or No Execute for an AMD.
Depending on your Bios it might look different
upload_2015-8-5_8-26-7.png

Reaction score
Problem solved by Salam Riyad. I am presently installing Windows 10. Riyad enabled NX via the Windows 7 software.

He will prepare a brief explanation for the benefit of forum members

Reaction score
The problem you faced to install windows 10 was a new one for me too. Your CPU Pentium E5700 has NX feature (called XD) turned ON in BIOS. So, I thought the culprit may be windows 7 and it may not be enabling this feature for all processes. So I forced Windows to make NX (XD) feature be available to all processes. Then, Windows 10 setup was able to continue.

This is exact order of commands I issued (though there may be other easy ways also).
1. Opened a command prompt with Administrative privileges
2. Typed "wmic OS Get DataExecutionPrevention_SupportPolicy" without quotes to see the current value for NX settings. It was 2 meaning NX (or XD) was enabled as OptIn (DEP is enabled for essentials Windows programs and services only and this is the default setting.)
3. Issued "bcdedit.exe /set {current} NX AlwaysOn" without quotes to force windows to edit boot options to make NX (or XD) available for all processes.
4. Rebooted the PC and run Step 2 to make sure the value returned is 1 (AlwaysOn) and it was the case.
and the result is now you are on Windows 10 on the same PC ;-)

Riyad
177HS204

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. This method worked for me and I was able to upgrade to Windows 10 on my Dell Latitude E6400 laptop. Took two days of research to find this successful solution.

Reaction score
When trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7, you get one of these error messages:

"The CPU isn't supported"
"This PC's processor doesn't support a critical feature (NX)"

For those who could not find an option in the BIOS to turn on NX (i.e. enable Data Execution Prevention), this is what worked for me:

A) Open a command prompt as Administrator

1. Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
2. Right-click Command prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
3. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm the action it displays is what you want, then click Continue.

B) Type this command and hit Enter:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

C) Reboot your PC

D) Try the Windows 10 upgrade again.

Ask a Question