Windows 10 Install and Boot Issues with Multiple Drives

Reaction score
I'm currently running Windows 7 on my desktop, which has 6 SATA drives on the motherboard and an additional 8 SATA drives on a SATA card, totaling 14 drives.

I removed all the drives except for a new SSD, booted from the Windows 10 USB install drive, and installed Windows 10 with no issues. It booted successfully 3 or 4 times from the SSD. After setting it as the BIOS boot drive and reconnecting the other SATA drives, Windows 10 refused to load. I disconnected everything again, tried to boot from the SSD, and it failed.

I reinstalled Windows 10 from the USB drive, and it booted several times without problems. However, once I reconnected the other drives, the boot failed again.

I’ve repeated this process about 6 times: it works fine with just the Windows 10 SSD but fails when I add the additional drives. It's unusual that adding drives seems to affect the SSD's ability to boot.

With Windows 7 support ending soon, I need to get Windows 10 running while also accessing my other drives. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Ask a Question