Windows 10 File Explorer search delay... ?

Reaction score
I've noticed recently that when I do a search for files / folder within the File Explorer, the search does not start. I would have to hit the enter key for the search to begin. Before, it would start searching as a type in the search field. Now, it waits till I hit enter. I'm also seeing clock / timer icon on the search field.
windows10fileexplorersearch_01-png.12700

To end the search or to clear the search filed, I would have to, I would have to click on the Search from the Menu bar and click on Close search. Before, I use to be able to start deleting a character or delete the entire search work/strings.

Windows10FileExplorerSearch_02.png

How do I restore it back to where I can just start typing in the search field and it would start showing the files/folders results as I type? I can't seem to find a fix with google search. I'm running a Windows 10 version 1909.

TIA

Attachments

• Windows10FileExplorerSearch_01.png
    Windows10FileExplorerSearch_01.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 577
Reaction score
Hi Kody,

maybe an upgrade to the latest version of Win 10 (currently 2009) might help first?. :)

Reaction score
Hello Wolfie,

I've updated my Windows 10 to the latest and greatest version of 20H2 Build 19042.630. Still having the search issue. What else can I try

Reaction score
Hi Kody,

mine is working fine with the latest version of Win 10 and I cannot find File Explorer troubleshoot at all?. You can try expanding the the top ribbon in File Explorer by pressing Ctrl + F1 which is the view you see below!. That might help??????. I really don't know what else to suggest?. :(

1605861829606.png

Reaction score
Hello Wolfie,

It didn't help / no difference in search method. Need to do more google searching.

Ask a Question