Where to place an app for all users ?

Reaction score
TIA ,
I have an SafeBrowser.exe that I would like to place it where all users can use it ?
What is the best location for that .
Same-ish question for SafeBrowser-Editor.exe so that only a user with Administrator privileges .
How to do that and What is the best location for that .

Reaction score
Many programs upon installing have a choice of making available to only current user or all user, does that one offer it? Location on the drive can be customized, default for 64-bit/x64 go to C:\Program Files, the 32-bit/x86 install in C:\Program Files (x86) but a Custom install allows in other places such as C:\ or if a second partition or second internal drive such as D:\.

Reaction score
Thanks ,
? 1) Is 'C:\' in WInExplorer the same for all users ?
? 2) I notice that if I manually put SafeBrowser.exe in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) , I am unable to run SafeBrowser.exe by doubleClicking or by shortCut . Does that mean that I need to make an entry in Registry for SafeBrowser.exe , before I can Run it from C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) ?

Reaction score
1. C: is the Default install location of Windows but some folks like to do it differently, I don't.
2. Doesn't the program have an Install.exe or Setup.exe file to start the install? Or did it come as a portable app in .zip format and just decompress into a folder on the drive then run its .exe file? A Windows-based program that can't run in the usual manners would probably indicate a corruption. The need for Windows-based programs being installed rather than just copying its folder is to copy files to a designated folder, copy support files to Windows itself, create menus and icons and to make those required Registry entries so Windows know what and how to run. "Playing" in the Registry can be very tricky even to having to reinstall Windows.

Reaction score
Thanks ,
I wrote the SafeBrowser program as freeware .
I use to get paid to write programs , but now it's all freeware as *.zip .
But it is many years (I'm 78) since I used an Install.exe or Setup.exe file program .
Can you recommend an easy to use/learn one ?
Thanks Bighorn

Reaction score
Usually an install.exe or setup.exe is written by the programmer as part of their software. Running that file tells the install routine where to copy/install files as needed to run the program. Compressed software is not always free, started being used back in Bulletin Board days of the '80s and '90s when running DOS with Windows 3.1 and earlier on it for downloads, made files smaller so they didn't take as much time in the download and not as much space on the drive before they got installed, usually were Shareware, try and if not like uninstall. A number of third-party programs may have included a Custom install where the location could be changed from the default.

Just a note, I'm older.

Reaction score
Gee you look younger ,
Guess I'll give 'Inno Setup' (jrsoftware dot org) a shot .
Thanks

Reaction score
In general, and there are always exceptions, the program itself installs to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) depending on whether it's a 32-bit or 64-bit application. The 'install for all users' specifies where the shortcut to start the app goes. If you choose 'all users' the shortcut goes in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu from where it appears in all users program menus. If you select 'just me' then the shorctut goes in C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu from where it appears only in your program menu and no other users.

That said, there are some applications that will install themselves in C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming if you select 'just me', but that's not common.

Reaction score
In general, and there are always exceptions, the program itself installs to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) depending on whether it's a 32-bit or 64-bit application. The 'install for all users' specifies where the shortcut to start the app goes. If you choose 'all users' the shortcut goes in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu from where it appears in all users program menus. If you select 'just me' then the shorctut goes in C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu from where it appears only in your program menu and no other users.

That said, there are some applications that will install themselves in C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming if you select 'just me', but that's not common.
Thanks ubuysa ,
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
Yep , full of Shortcuts .

Yes , my program is x64 .
When I just place it in C:\Program Files , and I DoubleClick on its Shortcut , it tries to Start , but never does .
Is that because there is no Registry Entry for it ?
Else Why is that ?
Thanks

Ask a Question