Video signal shuts off, but monitor backlight says lit, is this a power saver in Win 10?

Reaction score
Upgraded my system to Windows 10 from 8.1. ASRock Z170 Gaming K4, i7-6700k, 16Gb DDR4, GTX980Ti, 958.87 Win 10 drivers (was using the same version win 8.1 driver) 3 Asus 24" monitors connected with display port to HDMI cables.

After a few minutes of not touching the keyboard or mouse, the monitors appear to have the signal stop being sent but I can see the LED backlights are still on so the screens have a glow, they are not black. As I have a TV tuner card in my system and usually have one monitor showing TV having all 3 screens lose the signal from the video card is a pain. Power setting is set to turn screens off after an hour of inactivity but this issue seems to be the video signal getting shut down.

So is this a Windows 10 or nVidia driver issue? Did not do this with 8.1 with the same driver version.

Sam

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My monitors do exactly the same thing, but......
That is how I have them configured.
I use a blank screen saver set to 15 minutes, which gives be the symptoms you describe and then I use Turn Off Monitors, set for 25 minutes and then they go dark, no backlight.
Have you checked your screen saver settings?

Reaction score
Yup that was it. When Win 10 installs it must set that as a default, never used the screen saver in 8.1. Thanks.

Sam

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When Win 10 installs it must set that as a default
That may very well be correct. I never noticed since it is my screen saver of choice. I seem to remember having to adjust the time though.
Anyway, glad you got it sorted.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.

Ask a Question