SOLVED Thumbnails replaced by blue mountain Photo's icon

Reaction score
A few days ago my desktop was suddenly covered with these blue mountain icons
It seems that Windows 10 retired Windows Photo Viewer and replaced it with Photos app
A 1/2 hour.with customer / tech support we came up with a 30 second fix
In search bar enter "file options" and pick Windows Explorer Options. On that window pick "View"
You will see a bunch of check boxes. The first one says "Always show icons, never use thumbnails"
I unchecked this box and got my thumbnails back both on desktop and files I open with File Explorer
PS: Windows Photo Viewer is still there but only for TIF ans TIFF files
What Am I Missing ?

Reaction score
Seems to me I had the same problem when I downloaded a bunch of pics from my phone. I believe I resolved it by opening File Explorer > View > "View by Large Icons"

Reaction score
Thanks, another entry into my bag of tricks :~) In my case I like the small thumbnails as they let me get more objects per page. Probably because I only dump my Pix when flip phone (no SD slot) starts whining about low memory

Reaction score
Reaction score
So is your problem solved now Bruce?, if so, please click on the "Solved" button so it helps others, thanks!. :)

Reaction score
A few days ago my desktop was suddenly covered with these blue mountain icons
It seems that Windows 10 retired Windows Photo Viewer and replaced it with Photos app
A 1/2 hour.with customer / tech support we came up with a 30 second fix
In search bar enter "file options" and pick Windows Explorer Options. On that window pick "View"
You will see a bunch of check boxes. The first one says "Always show icons, never use thumbnails"
I unchecked this box and got my thumbnails back both on desktop and files I open with File Explorer
PS: Windows Photo Viewer is still there but only for TIF ans TIFF files
What Am I Missing ?
You're Totally amazing, saved me soooo much time. Thanks

RLH

Reaction score
Folks, I cannot uncheck the "always show icons, never use thumbnails" because it is already unchecked.

Ask a Question