Setting File Explorer columns - and KEEPING them

Reaction score
Having set Win 10 columns (types and positions) I’ve several times used the option to apply this to ALL. But this never seems to survive, even within a session (i.e. before a reboot). Is there a registry hack or a freeware tool that can achieve this reliably please? And can this work for all file browser dialogues as well as File Explorer folders?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Regedit32

Reaction score
I suspect the issue you have run into is the fact that not all folders use the same default folder view.

For example if you change the view of your Pictures folder then choose to apply change to all folders, the only folders that will change will be other folders that are optimized to display pictures.

You will probably need to make manual changes to the key folders, Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc ... then apply those changes to all folders in each instance to get your desired layout and view.

When you make changes to the Default view of a particular folder type these ought to be reflected in your Registry at the following location:

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell

So for example if you were modifying the Music Folder's Default view via a Command Prompt you could use the following command to create the directory for those changes to be stored in:

Code:
REG ADD "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell" /V FolderType /T REG_SZ /D Music /F

Having done this and closed the Command Prompt you would then need to open Task Manager and choose to restart Windows Explorer for changes to stick, or simply restart the computer.

Reaction score
Many thanks Regedit32, that looks very promising. I'll pursue your suggestions asap.

Can you advise on a closely associated point please? I far prefer to have Date Modified displayed in all folders (as it was during my 15 years with XP) instead of Date which Win 10 shows by default. I'm constantly opening folders, moving up and down the tree, etc, so this is a significant hindrance for me. Is it possible to fix this somehow please, again permanently?

Last edited:
Reaction score
After a tip elsewhere I found a string "BagMRU Size" at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local>Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell

It had no value assigned. I optimistically modified it to 10000 and that seems to have worked. :)

My setting is now appearing on all half dozen or so 'similar' folders.

Anyone have any ideas as to how that (rather important?) registry setting can have been created with no value assigned?

Reaction score
As regedit says, the default differences could be a result of optimisation of pictures, etc.. as opposed to straightforward files.
Whenever I have a new installation, I adjust the columns by right clicking as indicated. The example is one which has been unchanged for some weeks.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
That is what prompted me to join the thread. Mine is also not assigned but I do not have the problems???

Ask a Question