Re Install Windows 10 on Surface 3 - No MBR + Bitlocker

Reaction score
Hi, I tried to install Zorin in on my Surface. Cut a long story short, have mange to cause damage so can't load Windows and have image on startup that says "Windows Boot Manager. Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem... " It suggests inserting windows disk and a then a route to repair.

While the Windows 10 install is legit, I think it was an free upgrade from the original winows 8, I don't have the licence code. I have downloaded a copy of windows 10 from Microsoft.com onto a USB and can boot from it... to a point.

Have tried various options in the "repair windows" on windows setup. Nothing worked.

If I try and run set up to re-install windows, I get to a point with a list of volumes with only one of any size that is enough to install on. Trouble is, when I try to install on this volume, I get an error saying it has bitlocker on it and setup can't progress. I have the bitlocker code but there doesn't seem to be an option to enter it.

So, I don't know what to do to get windows back now. It would be useful, but not essential, to keep the contents of the disk.

Any help appreciated to get my win laptop back and working!

Thanks

Andrew

Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

see my post at the following link regarding Boot Repair with which, you can select "Fix MBR". :)

Ask a Question