Problem saving files not related to permissions

Reaction score
I routinely save downloaded .jpg files to a folder on an external USB hard drive. I have been using the same procedure for a long time without problems. Recently, on seemingly random occasions, when i try to save a file to this folder, that I had just downloaded other ,jpg files to, I get an error message you do not have permission to modify files in this location Actually, when I get that error message, Windows has saved a file to that location with the correct file name but the saved file has a size of 0. If I then try to save the file again I get the message that a file of that name already exists and would I like to replace it. If I click yes then the file is saved correctly to that same folder. I have checked the permissions for that folder and they are correct. Permissions could not be the problem anyway because most of the time the files save correctly the first time. I have scanned the destination drive and no errors are found. I have searched the web and can't find anyone reporting a similar problem. Anyone have any suggestions as to what has happened?

Reaction score
Clarification, When I click save on the file, it apparently saves a file with the correct file name in the correct folder but with a zero file size and then immediately pops up the error message that lists the complete file path of the saved file and the message you do not have permission to modify files at this network location.

Reaction score
Sounds like it might be file system issue or possibly the drive controller. Have you run a diagnostic of the drive?

Reaction score
Hard Disk Sentinel doesn't show any problems with the drive and the USB 3 host controller shows no problem in device manager. I did find that the owner of the drive was an unknown user which was due to the fact that the drive has been in use for a couple of Windows upgrades and major hardware revisions of my computer. I changed the owner to my administrator account but that made no difference to this problem. I'm not sure what you mean by a file system issue. And why does the error message say a"network location"?

Reaction score
I thank you all for your replies. The first things I did was check the permissions and run CHKDSK /F. No problems were found and I changed the ownership to my administrator account gave it full permissions (which it already had) As I said above I logically rejected a permissions issue in my mind since the behavior is intermittent and does not happen when I try to save the same file a second time. I found one article listing possibilities for the cause and repair of this error. I only have one user account, the permissions are set correctly, I am not going to disable user account control permanently so didn't try that, There is no program involved except Windows itself, protected mode is off, the folder is not shared, the owner has been changed, no program to run compatibility troubleshooter on. The last 2 I haven't tried. Since this problem only began recently I naturally suspect Windows update but I would expect to find others have an identical problem if that were the cause and I haven't so far. Since I have a workaround, this is more of an annoyance than a serious problem but I would still like to figure it out.

Ask a Question