PC stuck asleep and won't wake up

Reaction score
Put my PC into sleep mode last night. Today it won't wake up. The power button is flashing, which is usually does when it's asleep, but it just won't wake up.

I've tried pressing and holding the power key but that does nothing. I cannot get it to reboot. It is just stuck asleep, in limbo.

Please advise.

Thank you

Reaction score
If you had it set to wake on LAN, possibly another system could wake it up?

You may have to take some drastic measures. Does the system have a reset switch or button? That should reboot no matter what.

If holding the power button down like 6 -10 seconds does not shut it down, you may have to remove the power.

Taking such actions can put your system at risk.

Reaction score
As Saltgrass mentioned, It looks like the only option you have is to unplug the machine and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, if it's a laptop I would remove the battery too.

Reaction score
Thanks both. I've tried some of those things already, apart from removing the battery which I cannot do (it's a smart laptop)

Power cord had been detached for 6hrs, holding power key for 30 secs does nothing. So I'm waiting for the battery to die, which could take forever.

Don't know what else to do. Got things I need to use it for. So frustrating!

No reset button I'm aware of and I don't have a LAN wake up option

Reaction score
All I can think of now is try using an external USB mouse instead of the touch pad. Good luck!

Ask a Question