Outlook Express for Windows 10 (and 8.1)

Reaction score
Already 35 RunAsXp users migrated to my OE installer after they were not able anymore to reach the activation server.
Went to the website and read through the information, the "hooks", etc. I have not had to worry about re-installing OE6 from runAsXP for quite some time. I never had to use compatibility mode for XP SP3 or Vista. I store my folders to a D drive partition on my hard drive. By editing the .reg file that shows the identity and the "store root" it is simple to just edit the location. BUT, I created a folder in that director's folder with the name of what is the actual email. Exampl Americanduduk, and point to the back up folder that contains ALL the different email account *dbx in their respective folders..
It has been many years since I fist installed the RunAsXP version of OE6. I save reg files by exporthi9ng them on a regular occasion, with a new dates as well. I also created a folder in the Program Files (x86) folder called Old_Outlook Express and copied all the files from the original into that folder and the msimn.exe if run from that folder works just like the original.

Looks like you did a LOT of research and work creating that installer. It is sad that Microsoft does not just add it (installer for OE6 ) on their site for anyone to get the "original" as it truly is fast an efficient. Why take a Boeing 747 Jumbo Jet to go 30 miles when a small piper cub airplane will get you there without the clutter and extra seldom used perks.

Reaction score
I've dropped a brick.
Ran a registry cleaner - ccleaner - and now OE has stopped working this week on Windows 10 22H2 with two error messages - 'Unable to open message store...' and 'msoe.dll could not be initialised....' Have tried everything short of registry changes (new mail folder, reloading msimn.exe folder from a working copy of OE on Windows 10, changing compatibility mode, sfc /scannow - can anyone help?

(Note, was originally installed using Runasxp many years ago.)

Reaction score
I've dropped a brick.
Ran a registry cleaner - ccleaner - and now OE has stopped working this week on Windows 10 22H2 with two error messages - 'Unable to open message store...' and 'msoe.dll could not be initialised....' Have tried everything short of registry changes (new mail folder, reloading msimn.exe folder from a working copy of OE on Windows 10, changing compatibility mode, sfc /scannow - can anyone help?

(Note, was originally installed using Runasxp many years ago.)
CCleaner is .... ( fill in yourself ). Go to https://winramtech.orgfree.com/OE/OutlookExpress6onWindows10.htm

Reaction score
Thanks for prompt response. I've read your webpage and much of it is beyond my understanding. I was hoping I could resurrect my old Runasxp OE with a couple of registry changes - ccleaner showed multiple entries for the same registry error (maybe 8 or 9). Roll back didn't work.
Do you think it's possible to make simple changes or is it a full reinstallation ? Grateful for any help.

Reaction score
Thanks for prompt response. I've read your webpage and much of it is beyond my understanding. I was hoping I could resurrect my old Runasxp OE with a couple of registry changes - ccleaner showed multiple entries for the same registry error (maybe 8 or 9). Roll back didn't work.
Do you think it's possible to make simple changes or is it a full reinstallation ? Grateful for any help.
I fear it will not be possible since a Roll back of the CCleaner changes didn't work.

Don't bother about how I did collect the data and the way I did built the installer. Only chapters "Introduction ...." , "The do's and don'ts ...." and "Hints, tips and trivia ...." are to be considered. The error messages you've got are caused by failing registry entries which contain ( I assume ) paths to C:\Program Files (x86)\Outlook Express.

Check if the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager registry keys still exist ( see Hints, tips and trivia .... topic (5) ) and if you can still uninstall the RunAsXp via "System" -->"Apps" --> "Apps & Features" .

It these registry keys still exist , "export" ( save ) them !

Try to locate and search within "C:\Users\<your windows login name>\AppData\Local\Identities\{xxxxxx ... ID .....xxxxx}\Microsoft\Outlook Express" for files with *.dbx extension. This is the location of your Store Folder. You must copy all *.dbx files from there to a safe location especially when you did not find back the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities registry key.

With the saved registry keys and the saved *.dbx files , there will be no problem to get OE running again as before after re-installing using my installer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
One thing of note: I moved the local store folder to my "D" partion on my hard drive, and there in D is a folder called Outlook Express, and in it are the names of the folders of my email accounts. They EACH have their own set of inbox, outbox, sent, etc .dbx files.
I went into registry editor and in the Local User " Identities" that correspond to each email account, I edited the "Store" folder to reflect where I had created that particular email account. Now, every time I get email it does not go to the normal User profile account, which is buried pretty deep and you need to enable "show hidden folders" They all reside in my partitioned "D" drive in Outlook Express/ email name/

Reaction score
I fear it will not be possible since a Roll back of the CCleaner changes didn't work.

Don't bother about how I did collect the data and the way I did built the installer. Only chapters "Introduction ...." , "The do's and don'ts ...." and "Hints, tips and trivia ...." are to be considered. The error messages you've got are caused by failing registry entries which contain ( I assume ) paths to C:\Program Files (x86)\Outlook Express.

Check if the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager registry keys still exist ( see Hints, tips and trivia .... topic (5) ) and if you can still uninstall the RunAsXp via "System" -->"Apps" --> "Apps & Features" .

It these registry keys still exist , "export" ( save ) them !

Try to locate and search within "C:\Users\<your windows login name>\AppData\Local\Identities\{xxxxxx ... ID .....xxxxx}\Microsoft\Outlook Express" for files with *.dbx extension. This is the location of your Store Folder. You must copy all *.dbx files from there to a safe location especially when you did not find back the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities registry key.

With the saved registry keys and the saved *.dbx files , there will be no problem to get OE running again as before after re-installing using my installer.
Right, have exported registry entries to my E: drive, one of which includes my Runasxp key. Cannot find an option to 'Manage Identities...'?
oehook.dll was missing, so I tried putting that in the (x86)\Outlook Express folder, to no avail.
dbx files are saved to my E: drive - there are about 11Gb of them.
detoured.dll is also present in the (x86)\Outlook Express folder.

What do I do next? Do I uninstall Runasxp? And could you please let me know how to obtain your installer - (can see no links in the webpage)?

Reaction score
Right, have exported registry entries to my E: drive, one of which includes my Runasxp key. Cannot find an option to 'Manage Identities...'?
oehook.dll was missing, so I tried putting that in the (x86)\Outlook Express folder, to no avail.
dbx files are saved to my E: drive - there are about 11Gb of them.
detoured.dll is also present in the (x86)\Outlook Express folder.

What do I do next? Do I uninstall Runasxp? And could you please let me know how to obtain your installer - (can see no links in the webpage)?

What do you exactly mean by "Cannot find an option to 'Manage Identities...'?" . Where did you look into for that. I will mail you my installer , but you will have to contact me via email first. You can find it at the bottom of my web page. In the mean time do nothing that may cause the lost of your emails ( the *.dbx files ) or the Outlook Express settings. I may help you step by step to go through the restore process.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Nice. I assume that you "Switch Identity.... " to download and store your emails per account , or ?.
Yes. Simple matter to switch Identity for each email account. ALL emails reside on the D:/Outlook Express/"email name" so they are always saved there. Simple registry edit to "point" to the "STORE" folder and it always defaults to that location. Therefore, nothing is actually deleted, disturbed, so forth, in the "User" My Name/ etc / etc/ etc

Reaction score
Yes. Simple matter to switch Identity for each email account. ALL emails reside on the D:/Outlook Express/"email name" so they are always saved there. Simple registry edit to "point" to the "STORE" folder and it always defaults to that location. Therefore, nothing is actually deleted, disturbed, so forth, in the "User" My Name/ etc / etc/ etc
I understand. But if you switch identity , you need to adapt which account to use too , or am I wrong ? I did not find a registry key per identity that tells which account to use.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I understand. But if you switch idaaentity , you need to adapt which account to use too , or am I wrong ? I did not find a registry key per identity that tells which account use.A
The registry key is Identities and lies in the HKEY_DURRENT_USER . All the different email accounts will be in there under different key names. If you have several they will each have their own hive key.

Reaction score
The registry key is Identities and lies in the HKEY_DURRENT_USER . All the different email accounts will be in there under different key names. If you have several they will each have their own hive key.
Ok , I remember that you use or used Window 7, and the "Accounts" are indeed stored differently than in XP and Windows 8/10. Within XP they were stored globally at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager" and not within "Identities" . When you would have installed RunAsXp on a fresh Windows 8/8.1/10 , the accounts would also have been stored at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\....

Reaction score
My Win 7 SST drive took a dump. I've been using runasxp on there for years. All of my email folders are in my Dropbox acct so they are still intact. I installed runasxp on my Win11 PC. It installed and opens to the key entry page but the server is no longer in service. I have the 3 registration keys from runasxp. Can I copy and paste to the registry to get the program to finish loading?

Reaction score
My Win 7 SST drive took a dump. I've been using runasxp on there for years. All of my email folders are in my Dropbox acct so they are still intact. I installed runasxp on my Win11 PC. It installed and opens to the key entry page but the server is no longer in service. I have the 3 registration keys from runasxp. Can I copy and paste to the registry to get the program to finish loading?
I am afraid it won't work. Whatever you want to put into the registry , the installation will only continue after a successful contact with the server. I provide an alternative for the runasxp version. Google search with "outlook express winramtech" to find my webpage.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The latest OE Classic:
Freemium means it has ads, may or may not be good to use.

Ask a Question