No Power Button Options Unless User Has Local Admin Rights

Reaction score
I commonly set all of our PCs for our A/V systems to where the power buttons only allow restarts, not Sleep or Shutdown. They'll all on Windows 10 21H2. I set the 2 registry keys as follows:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Start\HideShutDown Value to 1
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\current\device\Start\HideSleep Value to 1

This has worked just fine, but on one system that only works if the user has local admin rights. Otherwise, if they don't, it comes back with:

There are currently no power options available.

I'm not sure why local admin rights affects this, but clearly without it Restart isn't an option and no options exist. I've checked everything I know, including group policy, but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Reaction score
There's a lot of things a Standard User can't do whether using a Local Account or Microsoft Account, includes changing/adding programs and a lot of the Windows settings that normally require Administrative Rights, designed that way.

Reaction score
Well, my point is, on all of my other A/V PCs standard users have that restart option, just not on this one.

Reaction score
I believe I found the culprit. In the Local Security Policy menu, Local Policies and User Rights Assignment, under Shut Down the System, the Users group was missing. It only had administrators. Adding the Users group seems to have fixed it after a restart.

Ask a Question