SOLVED New install windows 10 pro in Linux Ubuntu

Reaction score
Hello,

I got some questions.

I'm currently using Linix Ubuntu.
I want to return to Windows 10, but that is no longer installed on my SSD.
When I boot with the install disk of W10, I can't install it on any partition on any of my disks (I got one SSD of 128GB, an one HD of 1000 GB).
I watched several video's on you tube about the softwares GPparted, VirtualBox, USB-creator and so on but I don't find to get back to W10.
I understand that I have to format a partition to NFTS for Windows.

See the inserted picture taking in Linux, for the current situation of my disk(and partitions).

Can any body tell me how to get back to as many low possible partitions and of course an installable partition for Windows 10 .

Many thanks to all !!!
Schermafdruk van 2017-06-05 11-07-15.png

Reaction score
the question is, do you want to keep Ubuntu and run it with Windows 10 as Dual boot system?
if not you need to delete your SSD and install Win10 on that. I recommend to backup everything you want to keep as I do not know if Windows can even read linux partitions (not familiar with linux) cause you might have to redo your second HDD as well.
If you want to keep linux, my expertise ends here as I do not know how to do that as a dual boot system with linux as "primary" system.

Reaction score
the question is, do you want to keep Ubuntu and run it with Windows 10 as Dual boot system?
if not you need to delete your SSD and install Win10 on that. I recommend to backup everything you want to keep as I do not know if Windows can even read linux partitions (not familiar with linux) cause you might have to redo your second HDD as well.
If you want to keep linux, my expertise ends here as I do not know how to do that as a dual boot system with linux as "primary" system.
I want to erase Ubuntu and not use a dual boot system.
And Windows can't read Linux partitions.
So this a my problem. How do I format a partition readable for W10?
Please take a look at the picture ! only for experienced linux or windows geeks ...

Reaction score
Reaction score
Windows can read Linux partitions but won't allow you to do anything other than delete them, it always states "Unknown format" or something like that!. o_O

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Probably the first thing to consider is, any critical data that may exist on your drive(s). Back it up to an external resource for safe keeping.
How do I format a partition readable for W10?
You don't ....
as Comp Cmndo mentioned above you just delete the existing partitions and install in the unallocated space.

You can boot from the installation media and when the first page of the installation process opens, hold the shift key on your keyboard and strike the F10 key which will launch a command prompt.
IN the command prompt window type
diskpart
hit enter
when the diskpart utility loads type
list disk
hit enter
Now for the critical part...... note the disk on which you wish to install Windows 10 and don't make a mistake as the following command(s) will wipe it completely. Now type
select disk # (where "#" is the actual number of the disk you want to install Windows 10 on as noted above)
hit enter
now..... making absolutely certain you are managing the correct disk, type
clean
hit enter
type exit (to exit diskpart)
hit enter
type exit again (to exit the command prompt)
hit enter again
Resume the installation and choose the unallocated space on the disk you just wiped to host your installation.

Capture1.PNG

Reaction score
Those Linux partitions would be EXT 4 and all those partitions have to go! Then let the Windows Install partition and format the SSD as it sees fit. IIRC there will be two very small partitions ( like 450Mb ) and one large (123GB) for the OS and that will be C:

Reaction score

I think the easy way to do that is to set up a virtual machine and install Windows on it. I believe the dual boot thing can be done but I haven't done it since the good old days on Windows XP and Linux with the 'old' LILO bootloader. IIRC you have to do Windows first and then Linux onto a separate drive ( or partition on a big drive) and then manually edit the boot menu file. seems this is automatic nowadays.

Last edited:
Reaction score
And Windows can't read Linux partitions.
So this a my problem. How do I format a partition readable for W10?
Please take a look at the picture ! only for experienced linux or windows geeks ...

My suggestion : use the 128GB SSD for your OS and programs (that will be more than sufficient) and the 1000GB for your files. I assume you have used the big HDD (1TB) for your files?? if so then back up everything you want to keep. If not, delete everything on it and create one big partition.
On my main laptop (an old HP 17") I have installed a 120GB SSD just for my system and programs. Since I could not add a second HDD, my DVD drive had to make room for a HDD caddy, so I could put a second HDD in it. This contains all my files,photos,music etc. and also serves as keeper of my OS images (Acronis True Image), so its basically for storage.
Since you have two Hard drives already in your PC, you could create something like that as well.

While starting the installation disc/USB drive for Windows 10 you will be able to delete the current partitions and let Windows 10 create their own, which will be actually two partitions, one will be a system partition of 500MB and the rest will then be your C:\ partition as Tim Locke already mentioned here. You won't believe, how fast Windows 10 on a SSD can be (it has created new life in my over 10 year old main laptop)...

Ask a Question