Looking for a new GPU for running Windows 10 on an older computer

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for ideas on what GPUs are a good match for my system as I've recently upgraded from Vista to 10. I find watching anything above 480p to be a bit laggy and would like to at the very least have full hd capabilities.

Reaction score
I wouldn’t know what to tell you without knowing more about your hardware. PSU, case size, CPU and RAM.
GPU’s are expensive and may not get you what you’re looking for on the older hardware. Do your research with an emphasis on compatibility.

Reaction score
Since you PC has an onboard GPU there is nothing you can do in this sector but using a addon card. I do not know what slots on your mainboard are available since you should have 1 PCI slot, 1PCIe x1, 1PCIe x16.
I would look for a PCIe Video card since this interface is faster than the PCI interface. Look around on what is available. I can't say that you will see improvements but it is a start.

Hope this Info helps

Reaction score
Upgrading your GPU can significantly improve video playback performance and allow you to enjoy higher resolutions smoothly. However, the choice of GPU depends on your system specifications, including your motherboard, power supply, and budget. Here are some considerations and suggestions:

1. System Specifications:
    • Check your motherboard's compatibility with modern GPUs. Ensure that it has a PCI Express (PCIe) x16 slot, which is the standard slot for GPUs.
  2. Power Supply:
    • Check the wattage and connectors of your power supply unit (PSU). Some GPUs require additional power connectors, and it's essential to have sufficient power for the new GPU.
  3. Budget:
    • GPUs vary in price, and your budget will influence your options. Determine how much you're willing to spend on the upgrade.
  4. Performance Level:
    • For smooth Full HD (1080p) video playback and general usage, you don't necessarily need a high-end gaming GPU. Mid-range or even entry-level GPUs can handle these tasks well.
  5. Popular Options (as of my last knowledge update in January 2022):
    • Entry-Level: NVIDIA GT 1030, AMD Radeon RX 550
    • Mid-Range: NVIDIA GTX 1650, AMD Radeon RX 570
    • Upper Mid-Range: NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super, AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
  6. Check Latest Models:
    • GPU models and availability can change, so it's a good idea to check for the latest releases in your budget range.
  7. Consider Second-Hand Options:
    • Depending on your budget, you might also consider looking at second-hand GPUs. Just make sure to purchase from reputable sellers.
  8. Software Support:
    • Ensure that the GPU you choose is supported by the latest graphics drivers for Windows 10. Check the manufacturer's website for driver compatibility.
Before making a purchase, double-check the compatibility of the chosen GPU with your system. You can also share your system specifications (CPU, RAM, motherboard model) if you'd like more specific recommendations based on your current setup.

Remember that upgrading the GPU can enhance video playback and graphics performance, but if your system is still using older components, you may encounter bottlenecks. However, for watching videos at 1080p, a decent mid-range GPU should provide a noticeable improvement.

Reaction score
Hardware specs and budget are needed. But for an older pc, a good card on the cheap without spending silly money would be a 1050ti or a GTX1060. Both can be picked up relatively cheap from CEX with a 2 year warranty.

Reaction score
When looking for a graphics card for an older PC on a budget, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti and GTX 1060 are solid options. These cards provide decent performance for their price and are often available at affordable rates, especially if purchased secondhand from places like CEX, which offers a 2-year warranty on used products. However, it's essential to consider the specific hardware specifications and budget constraints to ensure compatibility and optimal performance for the given system. Always check the power supply and physical dimensions to make sure the chosen graphics card fits and is supported by the PC.

iptv uk

Ask a Question