Issue with Xbox App, Windows Store, and Windows Update

Reaction score
I've been struggling with Windows 10 over the past couple of hours and decided to try to ask for help here.

I recently got PC Game Pass which uses the Xbox App. Tonight I received an error when trying to download a game. I rebooted my PC to attempt to fix the issue, and then after the restart the Xbox App said that it needed to update. When I clicked the update button it launches the Windows Store which gets stuck on an infinite loading screen.

I looked up some steps to try to fix the Windows Store app, primarily the repair / reset options. None of these worked.

I found a video that instructs how to update the Xbox app without using the Windows Store. After doing this the Xbox App now hangs on a black screen with the Xbox logo.

At this point I check Windows Update. When I check for an update it says Error encountered: One of the update services is not running properly, but you can try to run a troubleshooter to fix the problem.

The troubleshooter doesn't seem to give an option for Windows Update.

The Windows Update and Windows Update Medic Service are disabled in services.msc. I am not able to activate these services for some reason. If I try to change the startup type it says "Access is denied."

I found some other people with this issue, and it was recommended to download the latest update manually here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When I try to run this I get this error: "Can't create files. Please check if you have permission to write to the installation folder." I get this error even if I'm logged into the administrator account and run Windows10Upgrade9252.exe as administrator.

I've found some other people with a similar issue here and here but none of these posts seem to have a solution.

Thanks for any help.

Ask a Question