SOLVED I have a security related login question.

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have had online banking with my main financial institution for quite a number of years and tonight I happened to be looking at the lower left corner of my browser window as I clicked the login button and found to my horror that my banks login page sent a "request to Facebook...." !

Now this may not be as much a security risk as a privacy risk, but before I call the bank I was wondering if anyone else on the forum has seen this, or knows that their bank "talks" to FB for some reason, etc.

Kinda wanna see if this is the new normal, should I have any concerns, and obviously, why the hell does my bank need to communicate with FB, and specifically when I am logging on to their "secure" site?

Reaction score
Sounds fishy to me. This has never happened with my Bank Hancock Whitney Bank
I do refuse to deal with National banks for any reason

Reaction score
I would be suspicious. Especially if your bank is a high profile one. Those are ones that are targeted in scams the most. There's no reason they should contact you, or send a request to you on facebook.

Reaction score
Most banks (if not all) may or may not have their own software that you install for the TAN numbers at least, I would ask your bank about it. ;)

Reaction score
BigFeet wrote " I would be suspicious. Especially if your bank is a high profile one. Those are ones that are targeted in scams the most."

My bank is a small local full service bank, and my neighbor, who works in the insurance industry, also has some banking experience and he said that small banks with limited IT budgets can fall prey to hacking or other activity related to online theft, but he felt it was to generate online ads on FB for the bank, but he said he could not be sure. So this was oposite thinking to what BigFeet said, but I agree with both points of view, and either which one, it's not a happy thought.....

Everyone who posted generally agrees it is suspicious, so I will call them this morning to discuss this issue.
I dont want to log on again till I have a better understanding of whats going on.

Will report back in a few hours

Reaction score
I just spoke to the bank, and the Customer Service rep I spoke to said she never heard of this before, and I have had many conversations with this rep over the years, she is very knowledgeable.

She logged on to her own account on the online banking system, and it did not show a request being sent to FB. (and she has a FB account)

There is a link once you log on, that goes to the banks FB page, but that is a normal thing.

She said I need to talk to their IT security dept on Monday, they are not open on weekends.

She told me to take a video of the "overLink" status message (as it is properly called in FireFox land) as I log on so that I can share it with the bank, which I did.

So I will have to wait till Monday and call again.

Will report back my findings Monday.

Reaction score
Sooory for the long delay for everyone who contributed, I only heard back today from the bank that this is a bank generated request that they had their software vendor install, and it is supposed to go to the banks Facebook home page.

I have therefore blocked this thru the built in Network Monitor in the FF browser.

I have also bumped the Tracking Protection one notch stricter.

Marking as "SOLVED".

Ask a Question