HELP! I Broke my DNS Client!

Reaction score
So my computers kept disappearing on my network. Someone told me to try changing my DNS Client login to Local System Account. Which I did. Well now that service will not start. I tried changing it back and it keeps telling me to enter a valid password. of course I wouldn't know what that is because I've never created any passwords on my network. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this????

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi beauknowsdiddly,

Welcome to the Forum.

The Local System account uses the higher privileges token SIDs:
  • NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM, and
  • BUILTIN\Administrators
This account has no password by default, so if you enter a password, it should be ignored.

I'm not sure how you went about changing your DNS Client Service to the Local System Account, but if you made an edit to your Registry, you ought to be able to set the SERVICE_AUTO_START Data value to 0x00000002 which instructs the Service to start on startup of the computer.

Reaction score
Hello Regedit32,
Thanks for the response! I did not edit the registry. All I did was, opened services, Double clicked on DNS Client and went to log on and ticked the box that said "Local System Account" then rebooted. DNS Client will not run now and if try to change it back it tells me to add a valid password :(

So I changed it from: To:
DNS1.png
DNS2.png

Ask a Question