Hard drive maintenance question

Reaction score
My Windows is on an SSD, and i have 2 additional ‘traditional’ hard drives for storage of backups - one for documents, photos, etc and the other for images. On those 2 HHD’s should I perform defrags every so often? And what about Checking Disks for errors?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
How often do you access your HDD's? I would do it quarterly unless you heavily add/remove files. The only time you should check HDD's for errors is when the present themselves.

If it's not broke don't fix it.

Reaction score
How often do you access your HDD's? I would do it quarterly unless you heavily add/remove files. The only time you should check HDD's for errors is when the present themselves.

If it's not broke don't fix it.
Thx. The one drive that I access each time I use the PC is about 4 times a week, for itunes syncing, changing/updating word & excel docs and such. I use my iPad daily for mail and plain old internet browsing, hence why dont use the PC daily.

Reaction score
Yeah....quarterly will be fine, or maybe bi-annually for as little as you use them.
Thanks. And should have added - is running a defrag on a hard drive with an image even a good idea?

I did run a defrag on the drive that has my documents, photos, music, etc once this whole year.

Reaction score
I have a similar setup, but I have to use one hard drive for some software because they won't fit in the SSD. (SSDs are still expensive.) Also, I use the machine daily, with lots of files (big and small) moved around the drives (internal and external). Whenever the system slows down, I run the defrag program (which is set to trim the SSD and defrag drives weekly) and for some reason I can't explain the system becomes more responsive again.

Ask a Question