SOLVED Display Driver Lost

Reaction score
When I downloaded Windows 10 the driver for my dell monitor was lost. How do I get it back or make my display (monitor) appearance as it should be?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I see you posted a question and then I see it appears to be marked as solved.
Did Windows Update resolve the problem for you or did you find a resource to download and install the driver you needed?
Anyway, thanks for joining the forum.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I see you posted a question and then I see it appears to be marked as solved.
Did Windows Update resolve the problem for you or did you find a resource to download and install the driver you needed?
Anyway, thanks for joining the forum.
I had to spend $100 to get the problem fixed. The forum did nothing for me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The forum did nothing for me.
Sorry.
We can only do so much.
It's not like we make a living at this. We volunteer our time and we all have real jobs and lives.
Just glad to hear that you got it fixed. Hope it was worth the 100 bucks.

Reaction score
It would help others if you would tell us how it was fixed.
yes it would -but before you download win 10 you should go to your c drive or main drive partition and open directly and find the dell folder, also any other software folders you don't wish to lose. In windows 7 I found they were listed at the top for my Alienware MX17 (not sure if its would be the same for all) and in the Dell folder are all the install drivers folders or whatever they are called which sometimes there are more than one for one item as you may have updated drivers and it kept the old one which is nice if the new one does not take. some have clear names like webcam and some just have letters and numbers like R28906 or similar( you can also Google these names and numbers in a browser search bar ,with a google search engine .and often go right to the dell download page under the listing for searched item which brings up a dell.com address). Then you can go directly to the dell site and search for which drivers are which-you should download the Atheros (at least for mine) first or the basic divers or notebook and then the chipset-after that it does not matter what order you open and install you driversI don't think. Also opening up more than one driver install packet at a time can sometimes cause problems but tecs in a hurry may do so. opening up the packet does not run the install but asks for a prompt and also gives you more information as to what it is .Also you should uninstall drivers which are not working first through programs and features in windows through the control panel as overlapping may also cause problems(your Atheros or base chipset or notebook should allow you to continue to use mouse so you can uninstall a particular mouse driver update or compatible file and reinstall the newer or more compatible file -if not you should still be able to go through menus and finish with the arrow keys and enter key). Really You should find all your drivers that work and if you cant afford a external drive at least buy a jump drive and dedicate it to saving them- I had many problems with drivers and delt with it a lot with tec help from Dell which usually always Excellent. Sorry you had to deal with this but hopefully this helps somebody and gives you reason to backup drivers-I do now in multiple ways. And id you revert back to a earlier windows from problems with 10 you will still want to back them up in case of a clean install to put back the newest or best or compatible ones for your system. Wishing you better luck because Iv'e been there and will probably have similar problems in the future. and please remember this is just my experience for my computer -it may not apply to all but since they are both Dells I hope it does relate -Wiredwullff

Last edited:

Ask a Question