Did Avast replace windows defender ?

Reaction score
Yesterday removed Norton Internet security (as the yrly subscription to expire soon). My intent was to activate Windows Defender, which the PC did as soon as it recognized Norton removed. But after a reboot I noticed an Avast icon on the desktop and sure enough Avast installed. Any explanation? Should I be alarmed? or did Avast buy out Windows Defender? And yes, after uninstalling Norton, used its R&R program (but did not reinstall).

thx.

Reaction score
Yesterday removed Norton Internet security (as the yrly subscription to expire soon). My intent was to activate Windows Defender, which the PC did as soon as it recognized Norton removed. But after a reboot I noticed an Avast icon on the desktop and sure enough Avast installed. Any explanation? Should I be alarmed? or did Avast buy out Windows Defender? And yes, after uninstalling Norton, used its R&R program (but did not reinstall).

Reaction score
Avast may have come with the computer when first new but didn't get activated until Norton was uninstalled. Uninstalling Avast should activate/reactivate Windows Defender which is a Microsoft product included with Win10, originally called Microsoft Security Essentials on earlier versions of Windows such as Vista. The main issue to note is having 2 or more different AV programs running at the same time could cause problems as their definitions may see things differently.

Reaction score
If you have Ccleaner on your computer, Avast is tucked, nastily, into the initial installation, and has to be UNticked. It is most certainly not part of any Windows installation.

Reaction score
I do have ccleaner. Will look for that uncheck button. Also google how to uninstall now that i know avast not part of Defender - explains why when i google avast and defender found nothing.

Ask a Question