SOLVED Deleting damaged ActiveX in Win10 v1511 (32bit)

Reaction score
Nothing I have tried can delete C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\{9732FB42-C321-11D1-836F-00A0C993F125}, whose PROPERTIES say that it is an ActiveX and damaged. This includes Unlocker and Delete Doctor and accessing it as a slave 'in another PC". Linux Mint tells me that I do not have permission to access ROOT - where I presume the 'file' in question is located. The date of the ActiveX shows that it was created (or damaged) while the system was still Win7. Any help available to either delete or repair this entry ?

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-8_6-52-41.png
    upload_2016-11-8_6-52-41.png
    90 bytes · Views: 575

Regedit32

Reaction score
The CLSID {9732FB42-C321-11D1-836F-00A0C993F125} is part of an application called PC Pitstop.

You don't necessarily need to delete this, but if the issue is just a case of file ownership, then while logged on to computer with a username that belongs to Administrative Group, right-click the file and select Permissions then click the Advanced button and at top of window that opens click Change next to owner and enter Administrators in the box then click check names and finally OK

Once you own the file you ought to be able to delete it, provided Pitstop is not running while you attempt this.

Reaction score
I want to delete it because it is damaged - who knows what consequences the damage has. I have not installed PC Pitstop, so it should not be running. If it were, would it show in Task Manager ? Right-clicking the 'file' yields PROPERTIES only, there are NO 'permissions' available for selection, so your suggestion can not be followed anyway. I expect Windows to be unwieldy, but I am disappointed that Linux Mint can not handle this matter.

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK try this then:

1. Open Internet Explorer, click Tools and then click Internet Options.
  2. In the Internet Options window, on the Programs tab, click Manage add-ons.
  3. In the Manage Add-ons window, in the Show: dropdown list, click Downloaded controls, right-click the item that you want to remove, and then click More Information.
  4. In the More Information window, click Remove. If necessary, enter the credentials for an administrator on the computer, and then click Yes to remove the downloaded program file.

Reaction score
'I am disappointed that Linux Mint can not handle this matter.' That remains true, but for a different reason. At first I was looking in the wrong place; But when I looked in the right place, that ActiveX was INVISIBLE to LinuxMint.

Reaction score
OK try this then:

1. Open Internet Explorer, click Tools and then click Internet Options.
  2. In the Internet Options window, on the Programs tab, click Manage add-ons.
  3. In the Manage Add-ons window, in the Show: dropdown list, click Downloaded controls, right-click the item that you want to remove, and then click More Information.
  4. In the More Information window, click Remove. If necessary, enter the credentials for an administrator on the computer, and then click Yes to remove the downloaded program file.
I had posted about my failure to achieve deletion by the steps listed, but can not find that post in this thread. I had attached an image of the result of doing the above - which was apparently rejected. "right-click the item that you want to remove" was not possible because NO entries were revealed in DOWNLOADED CONTROLS. End of process.

Reaction score
I've managed to delete the FOLDER that the damaged ActiveX was in, by first deleting the reference to that FOLDER in Registry. And of course the damaged ActiveX disappeared along with its containing folder. Problem SOLVED

Ask a Question