Defender and Mcafee

Reaction score
My new laptop unfortunately came pre-installed with a version of mcafee life safe security and is at the moment controlling defender so says the settings. (30 day free trial)
I don't want that expensive version of mcafee if mcafee at all. £21 now but around £80 after the first year.

Is it safe to uninstall the mcafee software as I have read that mcafee doesn't always uninstall properly. If I do will windows automatically turn on defender.?
So far I find windows 10 navigation more confusing than my previous laptop using windows 8.1 Advice would be appreciated.

Reaction score
yes you can uninstall it i have been running defender only since windows 10 came out.
The pre-installed mcafee has two apps on my system
Mcafee personal security and mcafee livesafe
What's the difference between the two and which should be uninstalled first if it matters.
One of them currently controls defender as stated in settings.

Another question. If I simply ignore mcafee requests to buy livesafe will mcafee turn off its control over defender.

Ask a Question