Customize Search the Web and Windows

Reaction score
Can "Search the web and Windows" be set to search only Windows locally? I've read that this can be done via a policy editor, but I work in Windows 10 Home, and that option isn't directly available. Thanks.

Reaction score
Do you use Cortana at all ?
If you don't, there is a simple way to do what you want.
Furthermore, if you change your mind, you can UN-do what you did.

Reaction score
If you have not enabled Cortana.............
left click at the Search bar > left side, 3rd icon is the Gear ( Settings ) icon > click it >
under Search online and include web results.................... turn it to Off.

If you have Cortana enabled....................
left click at the Search box > left side, the 3rd icon is Notebook > click it > click Settings >
under Cortana can give you suggestions etc etc .................. turn it to Off.
under Search online and include web results.......................... turn it to Off.

That's it.

You will see that the search box will say Search Windows.

Last edited:
Reaction score
davidhk129: I may not understand. You're suggesting I left-click the search icon, correct (magnifying glass image)? I see no "Notebook" icon there. Am I in the right place? I wish the forum allowed inserting images.

Reaction score
You might have missed it. I had updated that reply.......................
Use this method:

If you have not enabled Cortana.............
left click at the Search bar > left side, 3rd icon is the Gear ( Settings ) icon > click it >
under Search online and include web results.................... turn it to Off.

Reaction score
I wish the forum allowed inserting images.

You can.
Capture a screenshot and save it > in your reply box, at the bottom, click Upload a File > navigate to the folder where the screenshot is stored > click it > click Open > screenshot will start loading at the bottom of your reply > when done, click at a spot where you want the screenshot to be placed > then click Full image.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Search locally only.jpg

Search Windows.jpg

Reaction score
search.png
OK. Thanks. The attached is all I get, even after clicking the gear-like icon--third icon down on the left.

Reaction score
No. Nothing happens when I click the gear icon. In addition, sometimes when I click "Search the web and windows," nothing opens. There must be something else going on here.

Reaction score
I am guessing now.
You said you had disabled Cortana.
Would you care to undo that and see if you could see the same thing as my screenshot shown ?
Bear in mind that my method #2 also includes disabling Cortana as well as searching Windows only.

Reaction score
I tried that. Settings just don't appear when I click on the settings icon--unless you know another way to reach them.

Reaction score
No. I have no more ideas.
Don't know what you did, but definitely you had done something that was not supposed to.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Yeah. I did something. I'm trying to remember or figure out what. I may have tampered a bit too much with the registry in my attempts to disable Cortana. I did disable it--and, it appears, a lot more. Thanks for trying.

Ask a Question