SOLVED Can I plug in my old SSD into a new PC?

Reaction score
Have a new PC and curious if I need to do anything special with the SSD (my bootup drive) from my old PC - as want to plug it into the new PC as if it was a USB device. Is that possible? upon plugging in that old SSD the new PC wont start up again, will it?

Reaction score
From your post, I assume you want to use it as a secondary HD/SSD, plugged into a USB port.?
No problem. But have a look in the bios setup and ensure that you do not have it listed as your boot device.

I di this on a regular basis, as I use my old disks for backup purposes

Reaction score
Depending on your motherboard, your main OS should be plugged in to SATA 0 or 1, a secondary drive should be in SATA 1 or 2 (if SATA 0 is present), this is on the assumption you don't have a DVD drive installed of course!. ;)

Reaction score
"as want to plug it into the new PC as if it was a USB device. "
Maybe wrong, but I gathered from this statement, that he wants to install it as an external?

Reaction score
You are right Dave!. He could also just plug it in as a 2nd drive inside his computer but you make a valid point!. :)

Hi Seth,

go to eBay or Amazon and simply search for SATA to USB adapter, they aren't that expensive!. :)

sata - usb adapter | eBay

Reaction score
Yes, it would used as a secondary storage drive. And yes have an adapter. Just wanted to make sure before i connect it to the new pc

Reaction score
As Wolfie said, last 2.5" cases I got not long ago from Amazon were clear plastic by Sabrent, nice to read the label without having to open. Right now it has a 1TB HDD in it but an SSD will also fit.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Yes, it would used as a secondary storage drive. And yes have an adapter. Just wanted to make sure before i connect it to the new pc
Ok. COuld you mark the thread as solved - it seems to have changed to sn ssd comparison thread:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Have a new PC and curious if I need to do anything special with the SSD (my bootup drive) from my old PC - as want to plug it into the new PC as if it was a USB device. Is that possible? upon plugging in that old SSD the new PC wont start up again, will it?
Just from experience and the beauty of Win-10, as I've done this lots of times on different computers and it works. Win-10 is not determined by specific drives as the OS is very adaptable and does update itself. I've taken a boot drive from a new computer out and have installed an old Win-10 boot drive like you are asking about your old SSD boot drive, it worked perfectly and booted but and yes, you do have to update its specific drives. Look at Device Manager for all the drives that need updating and run Windows Update to get all appropriate updates for your new system. Also enable the "TRIM" cmd in Win-10 to make make sure that all SSD drives run more efficiently and speedily.. Good luck and hope this helps.

Reaction score
You won't be able to boot to the OS via USB. installing it with the old OS may work, depending on the CPU and chipset, if you want to wipe and reinstall, you can just do that, if you just want to copy files over via USB that will work too.

Reaction score
I've found that the simplest and fastest way to up and running on a new PC is
1) set the new PC's admin account to a Microsoft Login which registers that computer as a valid version of Windows. Copy / save all the registration info to a USB drive.
2) Use Macrium Reflect to make a full disk image of the new computer's minimal setup.
3) Use the "dism" command line feature to backup the new computer's drivers.
4) Clone the hard drive of a current computer to the new PC's drive, then restore the drivers using "dism" command line.
You're up and running with copies of all programs in a matter of a few hours, rather than days.

Ask a Question