Bitlocker MAJOR problem

Reaction score
Client got new laptop about 6 months ago...W11.....used it very successfully.....
Last week the bitlocker screen popped up asking for the decrypt key....
She does not have a key....
She has a MIcrosoft account but there is NO bitlocker key.....

So I pulled the M.2...mounted it on another PC.....it sees the drive but cannot access....wants the bitlocker key....
I tried it on a Linux machine....same deal.....

I am assuming this is a dead deal.....but I got to wondering if there is an OS of some kind that will recognize NTFS but will
ignore bitlocker.....She has a LOT of important data we would like to get back.....

Thoughts and ideas GREATLY appreciated...

Reaction score
You can clone the drive with Macrium reflect and it will make the clone unencrypted. I clone my Laptop twice a month (especially right before updates and Macrium removes the encryption so the drive becomes accessible again. I am using the free version of Macrium.

After cloning the drive can be encrypted again and you get the option to save decryption key in a text file or you turned bitlocker off completely.

Reaction score
Grizzly...THANKS..!!!.....working on cloning now....
BTW....is there any way to make bitlocker inoperable so that it cannot be turned on...????....Registry edit maybe...???

Reaction score
You can turn bitlocker off in the control panel under [Bitlocker drive encryption] (I had to look where to find because in Win11 it is a little different)

Reaction score
Well.....when I boot up the bitlocker screen covers the entire desktop and I cannot access anything.....I know how to turn it on and off......I just cannot access the laptop to be able to do it.....and since I don't have the code.......I cannot get rid of the bitlocker screen.....

Reaction score
Not getting BSOD.......don't need debugging........I just need to get the BL page off the desktop......

Does anyone know if there is a virus of somekind that can turn BL on WITHOUT

Reaction score
Ok, that link in my Signature field and is for people who might need help.

But it is not part of the response to you.

Did you go to those links that have a different colour named "Microsoft" and "minitool"?

Reaction score
Grizzly....your idea of cloning the drive with Macrium does NOT work......I tried imaging the BL drive and that
did NOT work either......

Reaction score
Grizzly....your idea of cloning the drive with Macrium does NOT work......I tried imaging the BL drive and that
did NOT work either......
Sorry to hear that. It has worked so far on my laptop with the free version which is still available from Major Geeks.
I do an Image every Saturday and it has always worked so far. Not sure why it does not work on your computer.

Reaction score
So digging a little deeper, it appears that the encryption key is stored in the TPM (Trusted Platform Module) and the computer watches for any changes. If there are any changes to the computer the decryption is NOT released from the TPM.

So...cloning an encrypted drive is fine so long you can access the decryption key.
If you don't have the decryption key backed up somewhere like the MS Account, then there is no way to decrypt the drive.
Well, it is stored in Microsoft Active Directory, if the computer was connected to AD (Active Directory).

There must have been some change to the computer for the decryption not to be released.
Have you looked at the logs? What do they say?

Reaction score
Grizzly....I used the free version of Macrium also.......no joy......but thanks for the help...
Shintaro......I have tried EVERYTHING I can possibly think of.....including posts here and on other forums.....
Can't get into the logs because I cannot load windows.....
What my experience really proves is that Bit Locker is TUFF...!!!!.....Probably a Russian hacker can break it but I
don't know any Russian hackers...:).....

Mounting the drive on another PC....I cannot in Disk Management wipe the hard drive because of BT.....
BUT......I can with MiniTool......and reformat so I can reinstall W11.....

Guys.....Thanks a lot for the suggestions and the help......I have admitted defeat......(doesn't happen very often).....
Gonna reinstall W11 and get the lapper back to my client......

Thanks again...!!!

Ask a Question