Anniversary upgrade cost me $128.00 and 5 days without a computer

Reaction score
For the last 2 years, Microsoft has be download various Windows 10 upgrades, each time the upgrade would hang at 83%. I would power the unit down and re-boot. The previous version would reload and I would continue on. Well, this time it went to 86% and hung. I turn the computer off and the on, the message appears on the screen "loading previous version", then a black screen, and the message appeared again. The unit would not boot. I had purchase the unit at Best Buy, so I went there, The Geek Squad was more than happy to look at it for $109.00. I had no choice. The tech indicated that the upgrade had created multiple partitions and he would have to format and reload the OS. I called Microsoft's Support number and was told they couldn't help me with a credit or reimbursement. How can a company corrupt your computer and not take responsibility.

Reaction score
Jon Microsoft can get away with it because (Big Boys) they can. Windows 10 is free (for now) and when we install the OS we click on "I Agree" to their agreement and licensing terms.

Reaction score
Your first mistake was going to the "GEEK SQUAD". This is how they make money. A child can do a reload of the system and it does not cost anything, well, maybe a lollipop...:D

As long as you upgrade, Windows will always create new partitions (usually Recovery partitions when the previous one gets too small). Second to that after three or four upgrades i is advised to make a clean install anyway as there is a lot of junk and trash moved from one upgrade to the next. I am due also soon as some function do not work as intended anymore....
As Norton says, MS does not have to pay anything as by the agreement you have excluded them basically from any damage they may cause. This license agreement is so 'wildly' written that only a lawyer knows all the tricks to get them to pay (and you pay more to the lawyer than you may get out of it)... That is what they, Microsoft, are counting on.....
Quite frankly: who has even read that agreement?? Not me, for sure.....

Ask a Question