21H1 Update changed System Tray..

Reaction score
..and I would like to get the "hidden drawer" back that contained a few of the icons I rarely use. I did most of the steps listed in the link below, until I got to the Taskkill (taskkill /f /im explorer.exe) when that command gave me an error, didn't recognize the it etc. I've tried everything listed above that like my icon settings (show or don't show).

I am trying to get my ^ arrow icon back that opens hidden icon drawer in system tray. Can someone help with this? It all started with the 20H1 update, or if I have that wrong, the previous to the latest 21H1. I was hoping the latter would fix the issue but it stayed the same.

Here is the instructions I've been following, but as I mentioned, I couldn't get passed that Taskkill command:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/how-to-fix-system-tray-or-icons-missing-in-windows-10/

Reaction score
Have you restarted the PC?
Can you supply a screenshot of what you’re seeing?
Yes on both Virginia, thank you for your reply :)

1624718189428.png

Reaction score
If you right click on the taskbar, choose properties, Click customise, choose always hide, click OK & close, the chevron should appear, now go back through the instructions & unhide the icons you wish to show, click OK & close. Then restart the PC.

Reaction score
I don't have Properties in my version, but I believe I already tried your instructions as I found the way to do that. I'll check it again, thank you Virginia ;) Below is what I have through clicking Taskbar Settings.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    57 KB · Views: 60
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    69.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    62.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Reaction score
Choose select which icons appear on the taskbar (within your second screenshot). Then deselect all shown, once the chevron appears then go back to that setting & select any icon which you wish to show on the taskbar.

Reaction score
You’re welcome.
I recognise your avatar from the MajorGeeks forum too. :) I’m Goddess Bastet there.

Reaction score
I figured that out when I saw "Virginia" ;) You've been a great help to me, and many others I'm sure. Maybe I'll pass on what you've taught me, and again, I appreciate it so much!! Denise

Ask a Question