10 to 11 upgrade

Reaction score
Does anyone think that microsoft will eventually let old laptops and desktop move to win11 or not?. It does seem a waste of machinery if the don't.

Reaction score
It is obstinance on ms’s part. Like other enthusiasts, I have been using Windows on an incompatible laptop, since it’s release. I have not, so far, had a single issue with it.
Where I live, large organisations will not, or cannot, move on, with the cost of having to purchase new computers.
One hospital here, for example, would need to purchase 1800 such. Difficult to justify to the tax payers.
You could say that MS have shot themselves in the foot over this issue😩😳

Reaction score
I agree with Dave's assessment. MS sure did themselves not a favor by requiring new hardware for Windows 11. On the other hand, older computer may not be able to run the latest Software due to hardware restrictions. I have an older Computer than cannot even run
Windows 10 (or Windows 8 for that matter) because of that. Technology always progresses, no matter what.

Reaction score
I'm in the same as most of them with a windows 10 laptop, I don't really want to move to google if I can help it, but with microsoft not moving on this situation, then I'll be forced to get a cheap tablet and surf like that.

Reaction score
None of my computers met the System Requirements at the time Win11 went RTM so I got a new Notebook so as to see what my clients would be getting into then 6 mos. later a new Desktop. After couple years I Upgraded a 15" 2013 Notebook with Win10 Pro to Win11, and couple weeks ago a 17" unknown-age Notebook Upgraded to Win11 Home. Both computers had come with Win8 and Upgrades done to 8.1 then 10. I used the 'tweak' of replacing a single file for the Upgrading while booted to Win10. Only issue so far is the Home gets a Windows Security pop-up notice/error of no TPM found.

However, against the possibility that Microsoft will either prevent updates or otherwise mess with things I did a hardware clone of the drives, put the original away and booted the clone, worked fine. Total cost for the experiment was the original purchase of the Notebook back in 2013, everything else was salvaged for whatever use I could make of them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just rerread my post. I should have added that I am usin windows 11 since it’s release. Plenty of ways out there to install on incompatible hardware.

Reaction score
I have'nt tried all the alternatives. Recently I had a desire to start afresh. I made a clean install, but electing to keep my data. All went without incident.
fwiw. Ref my remark concernong hospitals here.
I read, today, that at least one hospital is changing slowly over to libre office.;):rolleyes:

Reaction score
I have to add that I recently (a couple of months back) purchased a new laptop with Windows 11 pro and "fully loaded" (32GB RAM, 12 core CPU -i7 etc.). It is way faster than my old laptop that originally started with Windows XP (only 4GB RAM max. and Dual core CPU).
The old one could maximal run Windows 10 V1803 because newer version did not support the video card properly anymore. It was simply no longer viable for today's tasks. I hope, the new laptop will continue to run well for years to come.
So far, I am getting used to Windows 11.

Reaction score
I am running a dual boot with 10/11. I read all the critic on windows 11 and must disagree with some of it. I am very low budget, ( brit pensioner living in them ost expensive country in europe! ) , so will probably never be in the position, particualr considering my age, to purchase new hardware.
However, even on a laptop with old and limited resources, I do find Windows 11 a little slicker - not much in it on my old machine.
There is always the lingering doubt that perhaps Windows 11 will decide for itself that it can no longer run usefully for me, so I keep the dual boot going, with 10 as the default.!

Reaction score
couple weeks ago a 17" unknown-age Notebook Upgraded to Win11 Home
Further checking shows that HP Envy 17 Notebook is from 2014. A feature in both machines is they are TouchScreen, something I've never paid much attention to. The 15" I mentioned is a Dell Inspiron 15 5537.

Ask a Question