Wireless connection problem.

avz

Reaction score
I have a desktop pc (win10 os) with a wi fi adapter. most of the times that I'm trying to connect - I'm getting "No internet, secured" message. I guess that the problem is with an incorrect setting. attached a screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    233.4 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
A common setup for having Internet service is a line into the property to a Modem with a connection to a Router which is then connected to a computer. Having a Wireless/Wi-Fi Router allows a computer to connect to the Router without using a cable. My LAN/Local Area Network has a PoE Modem provided by my ISP connected via Ethernet cable to my Wireless Router. The Router has an Uplink port to the Modem, a connected 8-port Switch, 5 Desktop computers via cable, 2 printers via cable and a NAS drive via cable. I can have computers connected via Wireless/Wi-Fi, now with 3 Notebooks in use.

Whether a Router includes the Modem is possible, some ISPs furnish that type or a user can purchase their own.

The first thing my ISP asks me to do with no service is to plug the PoE Modem directly into the RJ-45/Ethernet port on a computer to check if there's Internet Service available, if so then I have to do a speed check from a link on their main page. That cable change bypasses the Router to eliminate a possible issue.

With a Wireless connection the age of the Router and the adapter in the computer may be an issue, newer ones have a choice of 2G and 5G speeds while older ones will be only 2G. There's even faster on the horizon. My connection on this Notebook, 2G may or may not be shown on the name but 5G always is when available:
Screenshot 2024-10-12 183600.png

avz

Reaction score
Thanx for your reply. in my case, some time there is a wi fi connection that lasts for a few minutes and then disconnects and the icon turns into the "globe" shape, some times there is no connection from the beginning. let me point that when I connect the desktop via a cable, all is fine, so, I guess that the problem is with the settings of the wi fi function. btw - the router that I'm using is a TP-Link Archer AX1800.

Reaction score
Just as a guess I'd say the wireless adapter in the computer is the issue. An example: I have a Notebook new in Oct. '21 when Win11 came out, has the 2G and 5G connections available. It tends to drop the 5G speed to about a third of the 2G speed so I use a USB Dongle that gives me consistent 5G speed [with the internal wireless adapter disabled].

Reaction score
What about using a different computer in the exact same location of the one with the problem? Maybe there's something between the computer and the wireless router or if in same room something that is interfering with the signal? If using a portable radio in the same location is there a good signal? If there is a wall between the Router and the computer could be insulation in the wall or if an old building maybe lead-based paint? If all these trials work it must be in the Wireless part of the Router.

avz

Reaction score
I'll try to connect another pc and see how (and if) it will work. I'm not an expert (far from it) regarding wi fi and stuff, but I don't believe that the problem is with the wireless part of the router because we are connected with our mobile phones to the router and it works seamless.

Ask a Question