Windows Says My Password is Expired

Reaction score
Hello, I've been having an issue for the past few hours and cannot figure out how to fix it. Windows keeps asking me for a password and saying my old one is expired. I've looked for answers online, and they all say that the password Windows is asking for is my Microsoft account password. However, it keeps saying it's wrong even though I've reset it and used a different one, which works since I'm still logged in on my phone. I made sure to use the correct password on my phone, and it worked, but when I boot up my PC and enter the same password, it says it's wrong. Please, if anybody could help me, I'm extremely confused.

Reaction score
Let's try a few steps to resolve this issue. First, make sure your PC is connected to the internet. Sometimes, if the PC is offline, it won't recognize the updated password from your Microsoft account.
Then, try signing in with a local account instead of your Microsoft account. To do this, on the login screen, click on Sign-in options and select the option to sign in with a local account.

Reaction score
Check if the password expiration policy is enabled on your PC. Press Win + R to open the Run dialog box, type lusrmgr.msc, and press Enter. In the Local Users and Groups window, select Users, right-click on your account, and select Properties. Make sure the Password never expires option is checked.

Reaction score
I checked and my PC is connected to the internet. I also tried signing in with a local account, but it says my password is incorrect. When I tried to check the password expiration policy, I couldn't find the lusrmgr.msc. I'm actually using Windows 11 Home so I think it might be different. Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi bullocksfamiliar, since you are using Windows 11 Home, the Local Users and Groups management is not available. Let's try a different approach. First, open the Command Prompt as an administrator. Press Win + X, then select Command Prompt (Admin) or Windows Terminal (Admin). In the Command Prompt window, type net user yourusername /logonpasswordchg and press Enter. Replace "yourusername" with your actual username. This command will prevent Windows from forcing you to change your password.

Second, you can try resetting your Microsoft account password again, but this time, use a different device to do it. Sometimes, resetting it from a different device can help sync the changes across all devices.

If these steps don't work, we might need to create a new local account and transfer your files to it. Let us know if you need guidance on how to do that.

Ask a Question