Windows 10 Update 2024-07 Cumulative Update Version 22H2 for x64-Based Systems (KB5040427) Causes Frequent Restarts

Reaction score
I’m encountering an issue with the 2024-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-Based Systems (KB5040427). After installing this update, my laptop repeatedly restarts and appears to revert to a clean blue screen, almost like it's back to factory settings. Each time it restarts, it prompts me to log in to OneDrive.
here's what i tried so far:
Ran the built-in troubleshooter, but it did not detect any issues.
Paused Windows Update for 7 days to stop further interruptions.
Verified that the laptop was not experiencing hardware issues or other errors unrelated to the update.

Reaction score
It sounds like the update might be corrupt. Have you tried uninstalling it? You can do this by going to Settings > Update & Security > View update history > Uninstall updates. Look for KB5040427 and uninstall it. After that, restart your computer and see if the issue persists. If it resolves the issue, you might want to block that specific update from reinstalling.

Reaction score
You might want to try performing a system restore to a point before the update was installed. This can often resolve issues caused by problematic updates. You can do this by going to Control Panel > System and Security > System > System Protection > System Restore. Choose a restore point from before the update and follow the prompts.

Ask a Question