Windows 10 problems

Reaction score
I upgraded my windows 8.1 to windows 10 on the 01/08/15.
The issues I have are:-
Have a start menu but will not open
Windows edge will not open
No Cortana
Cannot add another user
What I have tried to date are:-
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:C:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
Get an error with this Get-AppXPackage not recognized.
sfc /scannow
Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}
Do any of you guys know of any think else I can try? Also I f I roll back to windows 8.1 can I still come back to windows 10 in say 6 moths time?
Cheer’s
Hoggie

Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
Case STYLISH SILVER/BLACK TRIDENT CASE + 2 FRONT USB
Processor (CPU) AMD PHENOM II X4 965 SOCKET AM3 (3.40GHz/8MB CACHE) - BLACK
EDITION
Motherboard ASUS® M4A785TD-V EVO: DUAL DDR3, S-ATA II, 2 x PCIe x16, 1 x PCIe
x1, 3 x PCI
Memory (RAM) 8GB CORSAIR XMS3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz
Graphics Card AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
PSU 630W Thermaltake Berlin + 120mm Case Fan

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
What build is that windows 10 version? That install date is 8 months old and 10 should have upgraded to the latest build.

Also I f I roll back to windows 8.1 can I still come back to windows 10 in say 6 moths time?
That's what I would do....but first back up everything you want to keep. Then roll back to 8.1, then reinstall 8.1, run windows updates...there will be a lot. Wait for the windows 10 upgrade logo and reserve it and wait for the upgrade. Or you can use the media creation tool and do an upgrade that way.

Reaction score
So in another thread I noticed I had the same exact issue. I ran Auslogics Registry Cleaner and bam, task bar would not work at all, couldnt click on the search or the start menu. Even the clock and sound was broken. I opened back up Auslogics Reg Cleaner and reverted to the backup before I cleaned and it worked fine. I don't know if you ran any reg cleaners but if you did, may want to revert to a backup.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Now we're getting somewhere....those "MAGIC" registry cleaners are what I beleive are the cause of your issues. Try running sfc /scannow to see if it can repair/fix your system files.

Reaction score
I ran CCleaner after upgrade, so you could be correct on what your saying. I've tried sfc /scannow no change.

I don't know how windows 10 would be 8 months old, I just upgraded it on Saturday. You would think windows would have been updated

FFG

Reaction score
@bassfisher6522 - Hoggie is probably in the UK, where we format our dates dd/mm/yy - so 01/08/15 is 1st August - Saturday (8/1/15 to you).

FFG

Reaction score
@Hoggie I may have a clue to why you have no Cortana - assuming you are in the UK, as am I, you may have the same problem as me:

If you click on the search bar (bottom right) then click on the settings icon (cogwheel) you may see that Cortana is apparently not supported. Clicking on the 'Why?' underneath shows that although Cortana is apparently supported in the UK, you have to have three settings all set to the same country: Region, Language and Speech. Go to Settings (type Settings into the search bar). From the page that comes up, select Time & Language, then Region & language - check settings for Region and for Language here, then check in Speech (same menu). On mine, I can set Speech and Language to UK English, but I can't get the Region to anything other than United States.

If I set them all to US/US English, Cortana is enabled, but I don't really want to do that (sorry friends across the pond).

Anyone know how Hoggie and I can change our Region?

Ask a Question