Win10 Serial Number Showing as "Default String"

Reaction score
I need to replace the SSD in my machine, which is currently inoperable, so I can't boot it to access the serial number. When I log in, the device is registered, but the serial number shows as "default string." How can I install Windows on my new SSD without the serial number?

Reaction score
Since you had Windows 10 already running, you have a digital license. Unless you change the mainboard, this license will always be valid.
When you install your system on the new SSD, skip the Serial key at the beginning and finish your install. After connecting to the Internet, your system will automatically be activated.

Reaction score
A tad bit of history, Windows 7 and earlier versions came with a Certificate of Authenticity which contained a Product Key, 5 groups of 5 alphnumeric characters which could be recognized as a serial number/key, which had to be entered usually to continue the installation. That changed with Windows 8 and the Digital License.

Reaction score
Since Windows 8 the Serial key is stored in the BIOS. That is why you do not have a sticker anymore. The original serial can be easily retrieved using Powershell (admin):

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Ask a Question