Why am I unable to activate Windows 10 Pro on my new PC?

Reaction score
Hello. I finished setting up my new PC. Everything was working fine except I'm unable to activate my license of Windows 10 Pro. Whenever I go to activate the key on the activation tab of settings, I get the message "We can’t activate Windows on this device because you don’t have a valid digital license or product key" with the error code 0x803fa067. When I click "Troubleshoot" and select "I changed hardware on this device recently," it tells me "We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re using right now."

I don’t really understand why this is happening because if I go to activate the key in the command prompt, I get a message saying the key was activated successfully. I also have a retail license that was linked to my Microsoft account. However, I made sure to deactivate Windows and clear it from the registry of my old PC so that I wouldn’t have any issues activating it on this one.

It may also be worth noting a potential mistake on my end: Before setting up my new PC and reinstalling Windows, I went to the Microsoft website and removed my old PC from my devices list, thinking this would help in a smoother transition process. Now I think it might be preventing Microsoft from recognizing and reactivating my license on this PC.

Reaction score
Is the new computer an OEM [Brand] or a Custom you built? An OEM license comes with the computer and usually can only be used on the computer it was first installed on and only that brand. A Retail version frequently used on custom machines can be moved to a replacement computer but can't be used on both at the same time.

Ask a Question