VLC app on Fire TV is requesting CREDENTIALS

Reaction score
Hello! I'm trying to stream home videos from my main video server to my Amazon Fire TV. Someone recommended using something called VLC for this purpose. After installing VLC and browsing to the server, it initially couldn't detect the shared folder containing the videos. I adjusted the server's settings, configured it as a media server, ensured all shares were properly set up, and eventually managed to make it recognize the shared folders. However, now the VLC app on my Fire TV is requesting CREDENTIALS. It's prompting me to log in to the media server, despite there being no login restriction or password set up on the server. I'm assuming it's asking for network credentials, but I'm unsure what those entail.
Are they the same credentials used for login.live.com or other Microsoft cloud functions? Regardless, those credentials don't work either. What exactly does this program want from me?

Ask a Question