Update from OEM State

Reaction score
If I purchase a new PC with windows 7 installed and a windows 10 license will upgrade to 10 install over top of (wipe out) 7?

I read you guys commenting about "clean" upgrades and I'm not clear on what that means.
I've been into dual boot and know just enough about partitions to be dangerous. Could I get into disk management to create unallocated space and how do I direct the download of windows 10 to that space?
I do not recall the setup portion of windows 10 upgrade download offering any choice of where to put it,
It seems to be a given that an upgrade is installing windows 10 in place of windows 7.

Last edited by a moderator:

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
If I purchase a new PC with windows 7 installed and a windows 10 license will upgrade to 10 install over top of (wipe out) 7?

So you have 7 installed in disk 1
You also have a Windows 10 licence that you will use to install windows 10, lets say you partition disk 1, and and now you have a whole new unallocated partition and install Windows 10 there.

The answer in this case would be no, Windows 7 will stay where it is.

If you take the Windows iso and install on Windows 7 partition or upgrade windows 7 using that windows 10 iso, then the answer is yes, Windows 7 will be nuked.

What I have done is, Windows 7 U sp1, Windows 10 Pro on, Win 10 Enterprise LTSB and Linux each installed to separate dedicated disks. But each install was done without the other disks enabled. So If I want to boot a specific OS I quick boot by pressing F8 after UEFI has loaded and select the drive I want to load.

The advantage of this is not boot sectors on any disks were modified and its faster than having a boot menu and select from there.

Clean Upgrades, I believe its what the referr to opening the setup.exe from the Windows 10 iso and upgrade from there keeping all Files/Programs, but you loose the OS/version you are upgrading, it ends up in C:\Windows.old I believe and then its lost after 30 days.

Reaction score
The answer in this case would be no, Windows 7 will stay where it is.

If you take the Windows iso and install on Windows 7 partition or upgrade windows 7 using that windows 10 iso, then the answer is yes, Windows 7 will be nuked.

Ask a Question