Time Zone Locked to Arizona: Unable to Change Settings and Causing App Issues

Reaction score
My computer has locked the time zone to Arizona, and the option to change it is permanently greyed out. This is creating problems with several apps that depend on the correct time to function properly. Manually changing the time only adjusts the clock in the corner, but doesn't affect the time that the apps rely on.

I've tried scanning for corrupted files as suggested in another post, but nothing was found. I also attempted a clean boot, but the time zone remained locked to Arizona even after rebooting.

How can I unlock the time zone setting and fix this issue?

Reaction score
Since the time zone setting is greyed out, it might be controlled by Group Policy or an administrative setting. If you’re using a work or school computer, your IT department might have locked it down. You can check by going to the Group Policy Editor (type gpedit.msc in the Run dialog). Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Windows Time Service and see if there’s a policy enforcing a specific time zone.

If it’s a personal computer, try these steps:
  • Check for Windows Updates: Sometimes updates can fix underlying issues. Go to Settings > Update & Security and check for updates.
  • Make sure Windows Time service is running. Open Command Prompt as an admin and type sc query w32time. If it’s not running, you can start it with net start w32time.
  • Reset Time Settings: Go to Settings > Time & Language > Date & Time, and toggle Set time automatically off and back on.
  • If you’re comfortable editing the registry, you can check for any time zone settings there. Type regedit in the Run dialog, and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation. Be careful with this step; making incorrect changes can cause other issues.

If these don’t work, you might need to contact Microsoft Support for more in-depth help.

Ask a Question