SOLVED Sounds is low now

Reaction score
Hi

The other day my sound was great. For example I was watching a video with my wife and being my media player can control the volume by mouse wheel so I turn up the Laptop volume 100% and then would set the player to around 60% give or take.

Yesterday I was trying to fix a start button issue (Windows 10 bug from what I can gather) and I did what Microsoft suggested on one of their pages which was to go in and check for updates. I did this and it was a HUGE update took over 2 hours to install. The start button now works but the sound is now messed up.

Now if I play the same video I have to turn the laptop up to 100% and the player to 200% and the sound is still sort of low I mean you can hear it but is low in comparison and the voices sound like their talking in a glass or something sort of hollow and echo sound.

I have looked at device manager and it seems that the HD drivers are installed I even tried to update but it says they are up to date. I notice if I right click on my speaker icon and select playback devices or recording devices I use to have several listed in each area but now when I look at each it just shows 1 for each area rather then multiple.

Any ideas why this is and also why my sound is now so messed up compared to before the update?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like you jut got the November Update, if it took 2 hours to install.
Perhaps as a result your sound card driver did not carry over.
My suggestion would be to go to the support page for your laptop manufacturer and download and install the latest driver they have for your audio device for your laptop.

Reaction score
Next question wold be then if windows did not carry it over (If?) then how do I find out what maker of my sound card so I get the right driver?

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks I actually found the right driver and sounds back to normal again thank goodness as it was driving me nuts having it so low!!!

Thanks for the suggestion and the solution!!! :D

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You said that your computer is a "laptop"....
I said....
My suggestion would be to go to the support page for your laptop manufacturer and download and install the latest driver they have for your audio device for your laptop.
Because....
In most cases, hardware devices installed in laptops will often do better with the laptop's manufacturer's driver installed.

Ask a Question