Problem with Windows 10 upgrade and Desktop

Reaction score
I currently have a Sony VAIO E Series Laptop that I bought when I was in the U.S. Army, around 2013/2014. It's served decently well but after upgrading to Windows 10, I've had extensive problems. I used to keep undoing the upgrade but it just kept happening and I gave up and decided to deal with it.

Problems seem to be getting worse. One of the cheif ones is, when it turns on, it seems to be normal except after I log in to my user account, it's just black blankness. I usually hit Ctrl +Alt +Delete to access the Task Manager and through that, manage to reach all my files.

Then, after around 20 minutes, I get a pop up window about VAIO gate not working, trying to restart. Nothing else really changes. Then another 20 minutes or so after that, it pops up again and my Desktop loads properly, icons and all.

Another problem is I am unable to use the Search function in folders on my laptop.

A more recent issue is I am no longer able to open picture files in the Windows Picture Viewer...or any viewer.

These problems have occurred usually after every update or upgrade.

I do NOT have the current funds at this precise moment to back up all my files on a separate hard-drive then reset my Laptop back to Factory Settings. Nor am I willing to do so without a proper back up of all my files. Nor do I have the immediate funds to get a new laptop right now.

If there's anything that can be done with a laptop that I believe is NOT compatible with Windows 10 but unfortunately is stuck with it and unable to revert back or at the very least, settle some of these problems, I would greatly appreciate it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
when I was in the U.S. Army
Thank you for your service.

It sounds to me like you may have some apps, some of which may be Sony / Vaio products running at startup that may not be fully Windows 10 compatible.
In any event, my suggestion, given your current constraints would be to try performing a "Clean Boot"
Easily done, easily undone.

Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Keep in mind that, not having a current backup of your critical data is a bit like playing Russian roulette.
You don't know when but you can assume that at some point you'll experience some type of failure that may result in data loss.

Ask a Question