SOLVED New Internet Service Provider Changed my network name, how to change it back?

Reaction score
Hi guys changed IPS to a new service, On the desktop opening network sharing it says "Net Work 3" Private Net Work, on the left, on the right side it displays my net work name next to connections. One my laptop it displays my "Net Work Name 2", on my laptop name as it should be, with the number 2 being the exception. Under Change Adapter Setting it displays my net work name, but under that Net Work 3 which I am unable to change.

I remember I changed this before, when my DT came back after the motherboard was replaced through admin cmd prompt: secpol.msc but lost the rest of the procedure. Anyone familiar with this, I'd like the rest of the commands.

True, this is really not an issue, that could be avoided by just staying off the internet connections page, but maybe my OCD won't let me leave it alone since i know I corrected it before.

Any help, Tanks guys

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Dillpickles,

• Right-click on Start then select Run
  • Type secpol.msc then click OK
  • When the UAC Confirmation pops up click Yes
  • In the Local Security Policy window in the left pane click on Network List Manager Policies
  • Now in the right pane you need to double-left-click on the Network you want to rename
  • In the window that opens check the radio button next to Name then enter the name you want
  • Click Apply then OK

That ought to do what you want. Failing this you can edit your Registry instead which you'd need to do if you do not have Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise as Windows 10 Home for example does not allow you to use secpol.msc or the gpedit.msc

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks loads, Regedit32, printed your reply so no chance of ever losing it again. One further question: Will I need to change my laptop as it is on the same network, but displays "Net Work (name 2" but plugged into a different port? Or maybe I'll find out shorty.

I'll you know if I do correctly.

DP.

Reaction score
That worked, also on my laptop. I'm in Thailand I was with 3BB the local internet service, through phone lines, for 5 yrs. I had many problems because they pay little attention to phone lines in new Condo's, a smart phone nation. I never got the 13Mbps I was paying for, service interruption, can't count the number of times I called them. My condo had a no dish regulation, free wi-fi, but too slow, and no fiber optics options. Moved to a house now, once again 3BB blamed the house phone lines. Feed up with them a moved to fiber optics. They ran the cable through roof, attached to wall right to my computer desk. Now getting up to 24Mbps, 16.5MBPS sustained, and paying 1/3 less, with no interruptions.

It will take yrs. to recoup my loses, and nothing can recoup my loses in aggravation.

Thanks, a Happy Ending

DP.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Dillpickles,

Glad it all worked out for you.

If your issue is now resolved do not forget to mark your thread as Solved.

Ask a Question