SOLVED My CPU speed decreases while gaming.

Reaction score
Hi, I have an issue with my laptop. When I'm not gaming and just running regular applications, my CPU speed ranges between 3 to 3.5 GHz. However, as soon as I start playing games, the CPU speed drops to 0.99 GHz. I have an Intel i5-1035G1 CPU, and I'm not sure how to resolve this problem.

Reaction score
Hey Galettavd, it sounds like your CPU is throttling due to heat. Make sure your laptop vents aren’t blocked, and consider using a cooling pad to improve airflow. Also, check if your power settings are set to "High Performance" when gaming!

Reaction score
Could be a thermal issue. Have you checked the temperatures of your CPU while gaming? You can use software like HWMonitor or Core Temp. If it’s overheating, you might need to clean out the fans or even reapply thermal paste.

Reaction score
In addition to cooling, check your battery settings. If you’re running on battery power while gaming, it may limit performance. Plugging in can help maintain better speeds.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I tried a few things, and here’s what worked for me. First, I got a cooling pad, and it definitely helped with the temperatures my CPU now stays cooler while gaming. I also switched to the "High Performance" power plan, which made a noticeable difference in CPU speed.
Closing unnecessary background applications before starting my games freed up CPU resources, and I updated my drivers and BIOS, which improved overall system stability. After making these changes my CPU speed during gaming is now consistently around 3.2 GHz. I appreciate all the help!

Reaction score
As an idea, in such cases, also consider updating your BIOS and drivers. And if your laptop supports it, you might also want to check if there are any settings in the BIOS related to CPU performance or turbo boost. Just make sure you’re cautious with any overclocking!

Reaction score
I recommend checking your background processes. Sometimes, there are programs running that can hog CPU resources. Use Task Manager to see what’s using the CPU when you start a game. Another thing to consider is your power adapter. If it’s not providing enough wattage, that could lead to throttling under load. Make sure you’re using the original charger that came with your laptop. And If you’re still having issues after trying these suggestions, consider running a benchmark test to see how your CPU performs under stress. That might give you a better idea of where the bottleneck is.

Ask a Question