Multiple Issues with Startup/Shutdown Since Latest Windows Update

Reaction score
After installing the recent Windows updates (KB5039893 and KB5040427), my computer has been experiencing several severe issues:

1. Shutdown Problems: When I attempt to shut down the computer, it gets stuck on the shutdown screen for about ten minutes before showing a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). Even after the BSOD, the computer doesn’t shut down and must be manually turned off using the power button. On one occasion, I waited over 30 minutes before cutting the power completely.

2. USB Device Recognition: The computer fails to register USB devices plugged in after startup. Devices like microphones and gamepads do not appear in the device list. USB devices plugged in before startup are also not recognized if unplugged and replugged. The issue affects all USB ports.

3. Application Freezing: Applications on the computer freeze and stop responding to inputs randomly. This includes web browsers, Windows settings menus, File Explorer, and even the shutdown options. This forces me to use the power button to turn off the computer.

I tried uninstalling the updates to resolve these issues, but the process failed. After a restart, the computer crashed and reinstalled the updates, and the problems persist.

Although it has been suggested that this could be a hardware issue, the simultaneous onset of these problems following the updates suggests they are more likely the cause. I need advice on how to fix these issues and make my computer usable again.

Ask a Question