Microsoft Photos: File System Error (-2147219196)

Reaction score
I have used MS Photos successfully on my Windows 10 desktop PC until recently. Now, when I launch the Photos app, it closes after a few seconds with no error message. When I double-click a photo file in Explorer, Photos opens briefly, then closes, and I see this error over and over again

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling without success.

Reaction score
First, let's run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter. Go to Settings, select Update & Security, then Troubleshoot. Scroll down and find Windows Store Apps, and run the troubleshooter.
Second, try resetting the Photos app. Go to Settings, select Apps, then Apps & features. Find Microsoft Photos in the list, click on it, and select Advanced options. Scroll down and click on Reset.
Third, make sure your Windows is up to date. Go to Settings, select Update & Security, then Windows Update, and check for updates.

Let us know if any of these steps help!

Reaction score
I ran the troubleshooter, but it didn't find any issues. I also tried resetting the Photos app and checked for updates, but the problem persists. The app still closes after a few seconds with the same error.

Reaction score
If the basic troubleshooting steps didn't work, let's try a few more advanced solutions. First, try re-registering the Photos app using PowerShell. Right-click the Start button and select Windows PowerShell (Admin). In the PowerShell window, type the following command and press Enter:
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | Remove-AppxPackage
After that, reinstall the Photos app from the Microsoft Store.

Second, you can run a system file check to repair any corrupted files. Open Command Prompt as an administrator by pressing Win + X and selecting Command Prompt (Admin). In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and press Enter:
sfc /scannow
Let the scan complete and see if it finds any issues.

If these steps don't resolve the issue, consider using a third-party photo viewer as an alternative.

Ask a Question