Microsoft edge

Reaction score
Struggling with a new dilemma now, an actual windows 10 problem.
Is there REALLY NO WAY that this edge imposter can be blocked ? and how please.
It has completely hijacked my system, to the point where sometimes I'll click on the chrome icon and I get the edge home page.
And when it's not blocking chrome it really slows down my computer.
Okay, so I can close the edge page and eventually get chrome for now.
I had my computer over-hauled eighteen months ago, had my windows upgraded from 7 to 10 and was told that I had two browsers to choose from, but I'm fighting a losing battle here.
I had someone out last week and all was good for a while but now .............
I shall have to replace my old desktop eventually because it's not suitable for windows 11 apparently.
Would like to know more about those " chrome-books" but because the sites that I frequently visit are big with loads of data ( football-stats + betting ) I wonder if a chrome-book would be up to the task.

Your thoughts please.

Reaction score
If you live in your browser why not give a chrome book a try. Having said that I have never had a problem with Edge after I choose another browser as my default. (I dislike Edge also) For a hundred more you might find a decent Win11 laptop and use Chrome as your default browser. Is it necessary to physically download those football stats to your storage drive?

Reaction score
yodap,
please excuse my lack of computer knowledge.
With regards to your question, I have absolutely no idea of such workings.
I switch on, log in, and that's about it .
All I know is that there seems to be this conflict going on between the two browsers and there can only be one winner.
I switch on my computer, click on chrome and suddenly the edge icon is in the bottom left corner of my screen.
I run the cursor over the icon to give me a small version of the edge home-page and close it without it actually opening.
Then, I click on chrome and up it comes.
I have no doubt that it will eventually over-ride chrome to a point where I won't be able use chrome. Again.

So, first off, would a chrome-book be able to do what I would be asking of it ? And secondly, do I really want to keep internet access?
That's not an ask, I'm just thinking out loud.

Reaction score
So, first off, would a chrome-book be able to do what I would be asking of it ? And secondly, do I really want to keep internet access?
A Chromebook should be able to accomplish what a User needs but may not have all the programs that are available for Windows, same for using a Linux computer or Apple Macintosh. As for Edge, it's included with Windows and has taken the place of the older Internet Explorer. Getting rid of the Internet is a choice but what is being done on the Internet that would be lost, really nothing that can take its place.

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
right from day one I have been, and still am, a technophobe, didn't want to know about computers, and then, much to my chagrin, I went and got interested in something that is internet-based, and so began the process of learning how to switch on, access the sites that I was interested in, and log in.

Back when I had a laptop I would pay someone to de-clutter and defrag my work-station and even to this present day, even paid someone to set up my internet account, anti-virus, add-blocker etc.
I have always likened ICT to the sun-crossword with the view that you either get it or you don't. I don't.

I'm an old man, and yes, I know that some of you probably are to, I just resent that with all the browsers that are out there I'm taking all this interference from edge.

Even now, just ten days after having someone address the problem I'm seeing "page unresponsive", and that little blue circle goes round and round.

It all boils down to what I replace my old desktop with.

Maybe, eventually, and hopefully before the time comes, there will be a way of blocking edge.

I'm probably beyond help but any thoughts on getting something that doesn't involve ..... I don't even want to say the word.

Reaction score
Edge may always come back with Windows Version updates or Build updates. We only get a license to use Windows and not much can be done to prevent changes to it, just have to ignore some things if not needed. Edge replaced the old Internet Explorer and there is a pointer file in Windows to bring up Edge when program installs or anything call for IE. Press WinKey and R, type iexplore to check that.

Ask a Question