LAN Ethernet stopped working on Dell XPS 15 9560 after connecting to WD19DCS Dock

Reaction score
I have a Dell XPS 15 9560, and after connecting it to the Dell Performance Dock – WD19DCS, the LAN Ethernet stopped working, both through the dock and the Gigabit USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter. It was working fine before this. I’ve tried the Ethernet adapter in all USB ports on my Dell, but it still doesn’t work. I tested the adapter on another laptop, and it works fine there.

I don’t usually use the WD19DCS dock, but I wanted to try it out. I want to keep using the Gigabit USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter because my workspace is too far from the router for a good Wi-Fi signal.

I tried a Network Reset, but afterward, both Wi-Fi and LAN disappeared from the taskbar. I managed to restore Wi-Fi by setting AutoConfig to Automatic. I’m not very tech-savvy, so I need help to get my Ethernet back.

I’ve tried uninstalling both the Realtek USB GbE Family Controller (which I think came with the dock) and the Realtek USB FE Family Controller (which I believe is from the USB adapter). In Device Manager, the Realtek USB FE Family Controller is hidden. When I unplug the USB adapter, it shows up normally, but when I plug it back in, it becomes hidden again. It shows as disabled (in grey) in the Network Adapters window and Windows doesn’t recognize the USB.

I’ve tested the USB ports with other devices, and they work fine. I also disabled MAC Through under Post Behavior in BIOS, but that didn’t help.

I’m considering formatting my PC and reinstalling Windows as a last resort, but I’d like to fix this without going that route.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. My OS is Windows 10 Pro.

Ask a Question