Is there a way to recover data from my laptop that won't boot?

Reaction score
My Asus ux430ua laptop has had booting issues for a few years, but I could usually start it by pressing the power button multiple times. However, yesterday, I encountered a blue screen with error code 0xc0000185, and no troubleshooting methods, like repair start or repair bcd using Windows install media on a flash drive, have been successful. Even after running chkdsk, which found no errors, and lacking any backups, the error changed to 0xc0000001. Now, I'm unable to reset Windows due to missing files, and reinstalling Windows might overwrite my data, as the drive shows as full. I'm currently creating a Windows ISO on the flash drive using install media and Rufus. I also have another PC with an open m.2 slot. Can I retrieve data from the laptop's m.2 drive, even though it has Windows installed? The laptop drive is encrypted with BitLocker, but I have the key. What's the best approach to this, and what else should I try?

Ask a Question